2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was kinda annoyed when I found out there are only two screws at the top... I've been considering adding the bottom screws but I don't really want to add holes to my car...

I have a plate frame right now, with fake screw tops so it looks even and covers the bottom holes of my plate....

But I've been considering going frame-less, but I don't want to do it without more support for the plate....

Has anyone added bottom screws to their license plate??

What are the risks? rusting? :sad: :cheesy: :walkman:

EDIT:

1. Talking about the REAR PLATE not the front plate.

2. I think it would look odd with two empty holes on the plate, and I would rather have the screws secured to the car than hot glued to the plate...

·
Registered
42 Posts
if you're worried about water then just use some grommets or similar..not sure why the bottom not being bolted to the car bothers you, have you had the plates fall off before?

·
Registered
249 Posts
adding hole would fuck up your trunk unless you know what your doing with the right tools.
and painting over any raw metal surface to prevent rust.
in general i don't suggest doing.

i don't think anyone in this world has license plate that screw off cuz it only has 2 screw.s

·
Registered
151 Posts
Two screws work fine. At the front, I have the plate frameless. At the rear, I removed the dealer frame and put in a Zoom-Zoom frame.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
if you're worried about water then just use some grommets or similar..not sure why the bottom not being bolted to the car bothers you, have you had the plates fall off before?
why would you want bottom screws? two holds in on just fine.

Lol... yea so I guess it is a bit obsessive, I just think it would look odd if there were only 2 screws on the plate and just two empty holes...

I am talking about the Rear Plate NOT the front plate... for those that asked....

Yea... I know I don't need 4 screws.... but there are 4 holes in my license plate, and personally I just don't want it to look like there is something missing....

Not to mention, I have dual 12 inch subs in my trunk and I don't want it to rattle, right now it's fine cause I have some 1 inch thick insulating foam with the sticky side on my plate and the soft side on the car, keeping the vibrations away.... and I could do the same thing without a frame obviously....

So yea, it's mostly just for the looks, but I would feel more comfortable actually having the screw secured in to the car, than just hot gluing the head of a screw to my plate for the look.....

I just feel like it would look odd, like there was something missing, since there are two holes on the bottom, with no screw at all... :wacko: :thumbup 1:

but maybe I have OCD... I dunno :stuart: :detective: :cool 1::Michael_Jackson_dan

·
Registered
42 Posts
Lol... yea so I guess it is a bit obsessive, I just think it would look odd if there were only 2 screws on the plate and just two empty holes...

I am talking about the Rear Plate NOT the front plate... for those that asked....

Yea... I know I don't need 4 screws.... but there are 4 holes in my license plate, and personally I just don't want it to look like there is something missing....

Not to mention, I have dual 12 inch subs in my trunk and I don't want it to rattle, right now it's fine cause I have some 1 inch thick insulating foam with the sticky side on my plate and the soft side on the car, keeping the vibrations away.... and I could do the same thing without a frame obviously....

So yea, it's mostly just for the looks, but I would feel more comfortable actually having the screw secured in to the car, than just hot gluing the head of a screw to my plate for the look.....

I just feel like it would look odd, like there was something missing, since there are two holes on the bottom, with no screw at all... :wacko: :thumbup 1:

but maybe I have OCD... I dunno :stuart: :detective: :cool 1::Michael_Jackson_dan
Rubber grommet would make it not rattle with the boom boom in the back :rockon 1:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts