2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody else make the mistake of only rolling down the rear windows while going about 60mph? I did this the other day (planned to roll them all down & went for the closest switch first), and the car stars shaking violently and making a loud drumming noise. It scared the crap out of me. I've never had this happen in any other car, but then again, the only other 4-door cars I've owned have been sedans instead of hatchbacks. Does anyone know if this is a common issue with hatchbacks, or is it just an issue with our specific cars?

·
Smells of Elderberries
633 Posts
Its the rear hatch compartment cover. Causes a pressure differential or something between the passenger and rear compartment also the air coming in is hitting the cover more directly with just the rear windows down and the lid stars fluttering like a huge base drum. Haven't tried to solve it yet, but I don't notice it when the lid is off or if the front windows are open also. Maybe installing some sort of vent in the lid or trying to stiffen it up a bit might help?

I never noticed it on the Focus ZX3 I had i don't remember if it even had a hatch cover to be honest and it was only a 2 door and 6 years ago

·
Registered
295 Posts
Yup, wicked buffeting with only the rear windows down...I crack the front windorws to stop the buffeting, but the rear cargo lid could be intresting to play with.... didn't think of that and its worth a try...

·
Registered
732 Posts
I don't think it's the parcel cover, had the same problem on my '06 sedan when only opening the rear windows at speed.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Every car, truck, and SUV I have owned in the last 15 years has behaved this way. Maybe it is because technology has improved and cars are tighter.

Cracking a front window helps.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Mine does it too and I dont have a hatch, all I can say is get used to it, all windows down or just the front (all the way down) or roll em up and use A/C, if you find a solution then let me know.

·
Registered
987 Posts
it happens with many cars. it's the way the air is flowing over the car, and when you roll down your back windows air is getting sucked in and forced out @ the same time. there is no solution other than cracking your front windows to change the difference in air pressure. Derrick_B knows the technical name of this effect.

btw...there are a lot of new people on here and NONE of you are bothering to use the search engine. many of these 'new' topics have been covered.

a lot.

please, use the search engine.

edit: this took me all of 10 seconds to find. http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/2010-mazda-3-discussion/2198-horrible-issue-rear-windows-down-highway-speed.html

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it happens with many cars. it's the way the air is flowing over the car, and when you roll down your back windows air is getting sucked in and forced out @ the same time. there is no solution other than cracking your front windows to change the difference in air pressure. Derrick_B knows the technical name of this effect.

btw...there are a lot of new people on here and NONE of you are bothering to use the search engine. many of these 'new' topics have been covered.

a lot.

please, use the search engine.

edit: this took me all of 10 seconds to find. http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/2010-mazda-3-discussion/2198-horrible-issue-rear-windows-down-highway-speed.html
Just an FYI, I did search, and either my search terms were poorly chosen or our search engine sucks, though I feel it's probably a combination of the two. Here's the link: 2010 Mazda 3/Mazdaspeed 3 Forums - Search Results. That being said, I would be perfectly happy to see this merged with the original thread.

Anyways, I knew it was an issue with airflow, but having owned coupes only for the last 7 years, I haven't had any rear windows to mistakenly roll down first in a long time. What really surprised me was how pronounced the effect was. You get something similar rolling down just one window on a coupe (or probably any other car for that matter), but I've never felt like it was shaking the car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts