2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just brought the car home yesterday and decided to throw my GPS and radar detector in it. Hardwired them since I hate the look of cords everywhere. I would have liked to have less "slack" in the chords for a cleaner look, but it makes it easier to remove and put on so I can live with it.

In the photos it seems like it obstructs the view more than it does when actually driving. I'm pretty tall so I have the seat reclined which is probably the reason, hangs an inch or two above the lowest point of the sun visor when flipped down. I have side shots, but my phone's being temperamental and isn't sending them right now, so here's the straight shot.

Comments, concerns, haters, all is welcomed. I take no offense over the internet :beerchug 1:

Attachments

·
Zoom-Zoom To Da Crib.
622 Posts
Man your car looks ugly as fuck and those radar detectors are gay.

Just kidding, the new 2013's interiors look bad ass especially with the manual trans but the new shifters for AT aren't bad either. Car looks clean and slick, good luck modding. :yes: Liquid Silver is nice.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Man your car looks ugly as fuck and those radar detectors are gay.

Just kidding, the new 2013's interiors look bad ass especially with the manual trans but the new shifters for AT aren't bad either. Car looks clean and slick, good luck modding. :yes: Liquid Silver is nice.
I don't see anything new from 12 to 13...

Sent from the third galaxy

·
Registered
47 Posts
The only big change for the 2013 interior is push to start and the auto climate system....it's standard on the iTouring model now....you can see the auto climate in the picture...the push to start is not too visible in the picture.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I got a radar detector for Christmas! I also would like to know how you routed the wires!

·
Zoom-Zoom To Da Crib.
622 Posts
Well I think its the change from 2012... I checked out the 2013's but not the 2012's, its the black accents they put everywhere and the volume button and little things like that.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have the wires first meet up at the base of the rear view window mount. They're then ran up to the headliner via some split loom and ran across to the drivers A pillar. Had to pull the A pillar off to run the wires down to the fuse box (pita btw with the airbag stuff) but once that was off it was cake.

I know how ugly the split loom is and I planned on doing it with some techflex braided sleeving, which looks way better than split loom, but I couldn't fit the GPS connector through the techflex. I still plan on changing it since I hate the look of split loom in my new car, but for the time being it isn't too terrible.

I got the side shots uploaded, if you guys have any other questions just let me know.

Attachments

·
Registered
271 Posts
When I hardwired my radar detector, I put it pretty much right where your GPS is (but behind a 6 inch tint strip). It's hidden from view from both behind and front (unless you're looking for it). I was able to stuff the wire under the trim on the top of the windshield and then into and across the A pillar without taking the trim off. I then ran it down the outer part of the A pillar and to the fuse box. I hardwired it to the heating so it only turns on when I turn on my engine.

These are some of the forum posts that I followed:
http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/...ect-wire-install-question-radar-detector.html
http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/2010-12-mazda-3-how-guides/3888-my-v1-hardwire-install.html
DIY: Valentine 1 hardwire via fuse box

Here's the final product:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
I don't see anything new from 12 to 13...

Sent from the third galaxy
At some point they changed the interior to all black. I think it was 2012. 2011s have silver hvac and shifter surround and they turned them black. He's just sayin the all black is sexy haha

Sent from that one app with the gay annoying signature

1 - 11 of 11 Posts