2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posed this question in my newbies welcome but wanted to thread it incase others have the problem.

Problem.
Handbrake doesn't engage strong enough to support the car on a hill

Solutions tried.
Change both sets of pads and disks.
Tighten the bolt behind the handbrake. It is now at its furthest point.

Unsure of how to proceed is there more adjustment on the calipers or have I done the sequence wrong, dreading taking it to a stealer (dealer)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brakes work fine under normal driving. Little bit shakey on the steering wheel but think its surface rust, I dont know if I should loosen the nut all the way off and pump the brakes and tighten again? Surely my cable hasn't stretched.

·
Super Moderator
6,315 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
I’v got To learn how to read the service manual better, lol...thx

They’re is another person with the same problem over the 6 forum and no one came up with a solution over a month. Just a guess but yes I would try that, pumping the brake, pushing the piston as close to pads as possible. Your brakes feel normal maybe because the brake pedal has more travel and can push the pistons in more.

Now that I Think of it, Mazda don’t use brake shoes behind the rotors for parking brake? Or newer cars don’t use that anymore?

https://forum.mazda6club.com/suspen...t-tight-enough-after-replacing-rear-pads.html

·
Registered
701 Posts
My car has the electronic handbrake. How does that adjust itself?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Just my thinking...When putting the car in maint mode, i heard the epb making a long noise, pause then short noise. I think it pulled the pistons back all the way, stopped then push back just a little. Same noises when you get out of maint mode but it did opposite. So, if i have trouble with my epb not holding the dar, i would go in/out of maint mode. Seems that's how you force it to adjust itself if it doesn't already do that every time you use it. Hope someone has the real answer soon.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Jack up the rear
Pull tire off
pull caliper off
and you should see the handbrake cable connected onto the caliper
there should be 3 or 4 notches on this
Move it up one notch.

Do this on both sides.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Posed this question in my newbies welcome but wanted to thread it incase others have the problem.

Problem.
Handbrake doesn't engage strong enough to support the car on a hill

Solutions tried.
Change both sets of pads and disks.
Tighten the bolt behind the handbrake. It is now at its furthest point.

Unsure of how to proceed is there more adjustment on the calipers or have I done the sequence wrong, dreading taking it to a stealer (dealer)
I have a similar issue, took the car to get a pink slip and also asked for the handbrake to be tightened as it was not holding up the car. Immediately the mechanic told me mazda 3 handbrakes are really bad and most likely the cable has been stretched and will need replacing! How can this be as it's a 2015 model with only 80k on the clock. Anyway he said will take a look and may be able to make some adjustments. I specifically told him I wouldn't be forking out 400 dollars for handbrake repairs.
Anyway once I picked up the car he told me what he thought it was, that the cable was stretched and needs to be replaced.
Is this right? So in other words ever 5 years or so we need to replace the cable? This can't be right or is the mechanic right about mazda handbrakes are terrible.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I've had mine tightened twice. Works fine but I've had cars with much better.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Same here, this would have been the third time but now have to replace the cable, just cant believe it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts