2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I recently got my new 2015 Mazda 3 GT (I'll probably post the pictures and introduce myself properly a little later).
I know that on some cars the hand brake uses the rear disks and some cars have a dedicated small drum brake for a hand brake. Which is the case for 2015 Mazda 3 GT?
I'm asking because today I parked my car, pulled the handbrake lever and it felt as if it may not have been released all the way to start with :surprise:. Of course I pulled it quickly and without thinking, so I really couldn't tell whether I just drove ~15km with my parking brake on... I usually pull it half way or less when parked and given the power of the car, I wouldn't notice any difference unless I looked for it. The parking brake light - of course I notice it now that I think about it, but again I have no idea if it was on. I was having a lot of fun with the car :laugh2:
Anyway, the hand brake still works on hills and I can stop the car when it's creeping with a good amount of pull. But I'm still wondering:
-If I did drive with the hand brake on, did I pretty much knacker my rear brake pads? There isn't any screeching or noticeable change in regular brake action.
-As far as I know, driving with the hand brake on only causes wear to the brakes, but is there anything else that can get damaged?

Thanks!

·
Registered
64 Posts
The parking brake uses the same/normal rear brake pads and rotors.

If you drove with it dragging a little, you surely took some life off them, but not much. They did most likely get very hot, which can lead to damaged rotors (hot spots or warped), but it's done now, so just carry on. Don't worry about it. If you feel a brake pulse down the road, just know this may have been the cause.

It's really nothing to worry about now though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, thanks Mikef5000! I guess if there are no immediate issues, I'll just ask to check the pads on my first service.

·
Registered
412 Posts
They should put a warning chime that alerts if the park brake is still engaged while the vehicle is in motion; even my previous 2004 BMW had that. It's not too hard to drop the hand brake in a hurry and leave it 1 click still engaged.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts