2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No idea where to post this so here it goes. I took my car 2016 (non electric) 3 to have the handbrake adjusted. It's pulling 6 clicks minimum before it stops. He put it up on a lift and said that it's adjusted correctly. To my surprise, tons of online forums agree with him.

I have driven more cars than I can recall and this feels wrong to me. I would say that 3 clicks "feel" right typically. I'm not just going by the number of clicks but how high the lever comes up when you set it. In this case, it feels high to me. I can actually pull it up 7 clicks with a little extra force.

Any helpful advice? Please don't be an a-hole with your dismissive comments. I've driven for decades in a great many vehicles and I have done brake replacements and adjustments. I can go ahead and adjust it, or I can take it to another mechanic. But I would like to understand "why" so many out there seem to think that the way mine is set is correct?

So, what say you fellow Mazda owners? Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
4,954 Posts
Who said it was adjusted correctly? The correct procedure for checking adjustment does not involve putting the car on the lift.
This information is actual out takes from the Mazda service manual, not something that a lazy tech told me or something I heard on the internet....and so much misinformation is parroted by the same people across so often on so many forums that it sometimes becomes "correct".........if its on the internet it must be true........

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I agree with you. So here's the thing. The service manual that I referenced had images almost identical to yours except without the line mentioning the number of clicks. Can you share the source of the one you have? Thanks for the correct data on this!

·
Registered
290 Posts
I'm the same way, I like a tight e-brake. On a recent service visit I asked about having the e-brake tightness checked. None of the advisors even knew if it could be adjusted. Supposedly the Tech tightened it but I was hard pressed to tell the difference. Not all e-brakes are the same. My last car was 3 clicks max for the 7 years I owned it. Prior to that I had an Acura that would loosen up to the point of not working at all with modest use.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And now, I'm really confused...I definitely prefer @arathol's version...but why are there conflicting specs? My only concern is creating drag by tightening it. Right now, there is absolutely no play when pulling up on the handbrake. The dash light also comes on even before it reaches the first click. I checked it again yesterday and the travel is actually longer than I had posted. 7 clicks = pretty average pull. 8 clicks with a "small" amount of additional effort.

·
Super Moderator
4,954 Posts
Different manual, what year?
Its possible that the range was increased to cut down on the number of cars brought in because the hand brake was out of spec.
In any case, all you really need to do is adjust it until the light comes on with the first click, and the brakes don't drag when its released...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts