2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Potential Owner
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About to start going though the process of mounting up my antenna and radio I pulled from my Jeep. Haven't found a lot of info about moutning HAM radios in 3s in general and especially MS3s. So I'll be winging it mostly. I'm going to figure out what to do with radio itself first and see if I can track down a YSK-90 separation kit for my older Yeasu FT-90R. Advantage of the FT-90 is it's very compact even if I have to mount the whole radio somewhere. I'm leaning towards under seat for the radio body and up on the "info" center for the head unit. The PO put in an aftermarket radio so the info panel on the car is largely useless other than HVAC control. I've got a few extra antennas laying around so going 1/4 or 1/2 wave will be easy enough. Just need to decide where to mount antenna. Ideally I'd do an NMO though the roof but I don't know if I want to drill a hole in the top of this car lol.

·
Potential Owner
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Got the wiring ran for power and found the spot I'll most likely mount it. Didn't get the antenna mount out on as the mount I picked up was for a trunk lip on a sedan. Had to reorder a 2 axis adjustable lip mount so I can get I on the hatch. Will probably go half wave since I'm not going to be mounting the antenna on the roof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Potential Owner
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Done for now. May move the radio itself later on. Comet SSB-5 (1/2 wave) on a comet 4 axis mount. Yeasu FT-90R compact dual band radio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
i know its a old thread....i have a 2015 6 estate and i need a mount to fit the boot, what mount is this please?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts