2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Audio-SQ-Maniac
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I ordered Maxima 09-14 HID projectors to install in my halogens headlight housings, they just came in today. :banana 1:

I bought them from The Retrofit Source.. I ordered black series clear lenses as well.

Im not 100% sure the projectors swap perfectly without any modifications or cutting but I'll update the thread with pics eventually and let you guys know.

Here is the hardware:

And the exact light output I should get:

·
Registered
521 Posts
This is my first full retro, on my 2005 Mazda 3 I've done clear lenses, shield painting and lens spacing.
Shot of the 2005 halogens projectors with hid kit output:
Very nice. You planning on doing led halos or demon eye mod? My last retrofit was on my scion tc with demon eyes and i loved it.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Yes, actually I'm waiting for my LED halos to come in before starting opening the headlights.
Sounds like this is going to look nice.

I'm curious, how difficult is it to replace the projector lens? Is it worthwhile to replace the lens on the OEM HID's? They look cloudy/like plastic.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Yes, actually I'm waiting for my LED halos to come in before starting opening the headlights.
hey DanB0yDro what model is your mz3? I have the one with the HALO drl and am interested in replacing the stock lens to a clear lens but the stock lens has 3 notches around it and 2.8" in diameter.

·
Audio-SQ-Maniac
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
hey DanB0yDro what model is your mz3? I have the one with the HALO drl and am interested in replacing the stock lens to a clear lens but the stock lens has 3 notches around it and 2.8" in diameter.
We already discussed this on another thread ;)
I have the base model without halos.

Do you have pictures of your actual projectors ??

·
Registered
130 Posts
We already discussed this on another thread ;)
I have the base model without halos.

Do you have pictures of your actual projectors ??
i made a thread about it http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/2014-mazda-3-skyactiv-appearance-interior/56642-xb-led-halo-vs-stock-halo.html#post824938

i have the GT model (top model without tech package in canada)

I'd be pissed if stock lens would be different with base models, you might need a drl harness so you LED halo would be your drl instead of the halogen

·
Audio-SQ-Maniac
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
i made a thread about it http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/2014-mazda-3-skyactiv-appearance-interior/56642-xb-led-halo-vs-stock-halo.html#post824938

i have the GT model (top model without tech package in canada)

I'd be pissed if stock lens would be different with base models, you might need a drl harness so you LED halo would be your drl instead of the halogen
I have the GX model, I'm from Canada too.

I saw your thread but there is no pictures of the projectors themselves, do you have some ?
I wanted to see the bowl, shield, etc..

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have the GX model, I'm from Canada too.

I saw your thread but there is no pictures of the projectors themselves, do you have some ?
I wanted to see the bowl, shield, etc..

Didn't have take a picture of those when i had it taken apart. What are u looking for tho?

·
Audio-SQ-Maniac
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Didn't have take a picture of those when i had it taken apart. What are u looking for tho?
I wanted to see what kind / shape / brand of projector they are but nevermind, got those headlights opened already !

And you were right about the lens, mine has 3 notches around it too..
Doesnt mather to me tough as I change the whole projector.

Here is a before-after teaser, still work in progress.

Attachments

·
Audio-SQ-Maniac
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
that's awesome! great idea. didn't thought of replacing the whole projector assembly coz i didn't know it was possible. is our stock lens bigger than the black series you bought?
Its always possible but I needed to dremel and drill some holes, shim a bit and then some more, it looks a bit ghetto inside the headlight but once the healight is resealed everything looks OEM.

As for the lenses themselves, I think they're the same size, they just wont fit because of the notches.

I'm done with the passenger headlight, I'll put some more pictures when I'll do the other.

·
Jaffa Cake Addict
385 Posts
Looks good! Planning on releasing a how to soon?

Reactions: DanB0yDro
1 - 20 of 42 Posts