2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been driving on the H&R 28821-1 springs for a couple years now.

As they are designed for Mazda 3s that have a 2.0L engine, they always seemed softer than necessary.. kind of bouncy with a decent amount of spring travel.

So, H&R also makes a spring for models with the 2.2L diesel engine that is sold in germany and that part number is 28821-2. They are the same in the rear, but the front springs are firmer for the heavier diesel engine.

Took out my old springs up front today and popped in the new firmer model.

I have to say that I'm really impressed.

Less body roll, less front end lift on take off, smoother feel on bumps and I don't have to worry about scraping as much on driveways.

If you have a 2.5L and are looking at H&R springs, you should definitely get the 28821-2 springs.
CK

Reactions: mym3 and JTA

·
Super Moderator
6,219 Posts
Yes, the -2 springs are what you want for the 2.5. The difference is minimal, maybe couple hundred pounds for the car, and the springs are .5mm larger in diameter and 2mm shorter. Not much but a little goes a long way.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have been driving on the H&R 28821-1 springs for a couple years now.

As they are designed for Mazda 3s that have a 2.0L engine, they always seemed softer than necessary.. kind of bouncy with a decent amount of spring travel.

So, H&R also makes a spring for models with the 2.2L diesel engine that is sold in germany and that part number is 28821-2. They are the same in the rear, but the front springs are firmer for the heavier diesel engine.

Took out my old springs up front today and popped in the new firmer model.

I have to say that I'm really impressed.

Less body roll, less front end lift on take off, smoother feel on bumps and I don't have to worry about scraping as much on driveways.

If you have a 2.5L and are looking at H&R springs, you should definitely get the 28821-2 springs.
CK
Damnnit! I ordered the 28821-1 4 days ago & my springs have shipped!
I have the 2.5
I thought I had done all the research.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Damnnit! I ordered the 28821-1 4 days ago & my springs have shipped!
I have the 2.5
I thought I had done all the research.
Yes, the -2 springs are what you want for the 2.5. The difference is minimal, maybe couple hundred pounds for the car, and the springs are .5mm larger in diameter and 2mm shorter. Not much but a little goes a long way.
I thought I had done all the research and ordered the -1. It has shipped already. Unfortunately.
Should I bother getting the -2? I have a 2.5. I know returning the -1 will be a pain.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm using the -2 springs and would recommend them for a 2.5L car over the -1.

You could sell the -1 springs to someone on here. Probably be easier than returning them.
CK

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm using the -2 springs and would recommend them for a 2.5L car over the -1.

You could sell the -1 springs to someone on here. Probably be easier than returning them.
CK
Thanks! I am trying to intercept the package since it is still in Germany. But if it still comes through, I will post it here for sale.

·
Registered
66 Posts
What stiffness do the H&R 28821-1 and H&R 28821-2 springs have in N / mm or Lbs / in? Thank you

·
Registered
19 Posts
Do you need struts with these? or can you just use the stock? I hear these are the way to go though, and have them in the car currently!
Stock’s are good enough. I did end up replacing the endlinks with the adjustable kind from SuperPro due to the reduced ride height.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts