2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today's mod, I purchased and installed this bad boy: GTSPEC 4 Points Ladder Brace for Mazda 3/MS3 | www.gtspec.com . There is nothing to take off on the car at all. The brace is an add-on mod.

Here's what it looks like out of the box.

20140625_164201.jpg

So here's what is somewhat tricky about the install, the rear portion of the brace, you have to insert these guys inside and stick your finger and wiggle them til they are sitting flush from the inside before you can screw in the bolt.

20140625_165627.jpg

The front part is super easy, there are 2 empty threaded holes where the front just screws in.

20140625_165926.jpg

20140625_170341.jpg

Sorry for not taking more pictures, it's not easy to take pics underneath when the car isn't on a lift. The car feels more planted to the ground. All 4 tires feels like they are gripping more evenly. A lot less body roll. Keep this in mind, I do not have aftermarket coils or springs and I can tell you there is a big difference with this brace!

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I seem to forget add important points whenever I make a new thread lol. When you buy it from GTSpec, it'll say it's meant for the 1st gen 3, don't worry it fits my 2nd gen just fine and yes, both mz3 and ms3 just fine as underneath its all the same.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a real bad habit of mine lol. I'm still suppose to be saving for Hawaii which I am, putting some here and some there but this month I just said, eh, SPEND!!! LOL. I am curious on if the mid-chassis brace adds any stiffness. I'm also looking to stiffen up the rear/trunk area as well. Just needs mo' money. :001_tt2 1:

·
Registered
752 Posts
I have the CS mid chassis brace and have been considering the 4 point one up front just wasnt sure how much of a PITA those bolt adapter things were to get in. thanks for the info.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Interesting. How much is the brace if you don't mind me asking? I've been thinking about stiffening up the chassis for awhile but I don't want to delete the aero pan on the Skyactiv just for the brace.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Interesting. How much is the brace if you don't mind me asking? I've been thinking about stiffening up the chassis for awhile but I don't want to delete the aero pan on the Skyactiv just for the brace.
MSRP is $200, took about $10 to ship it. You can find them on ebay sometimes for cheaper.
@D-Jack they're not hard, I used my pinkie to move it around in there. One advice I can give you is once you got the bolt starting to thread in, pull down the brace and then tighten the bolt. It'll keep that little guy from moving around.

·
The Turbo Guy
205 Posts
I enjoy my GTS-SUS-1135 brace as well. No one makes solid aluminum bushings to lock the front subframe to the unibody, so this brace is the next best alternative. The steering control and feedback is better since the lower control arms, front sway bar, and steering rack all bolt to the front subframe. I also have the H brace.
I have the CS mid chassis brace and have been considering the 4 point one up front just wasnt sure how much of a PITA those bolt adapter things were to get in.
they're not hard, I used my pinkie to move it around in there. One advice I can give you is once you got the bolt starting to thread in, pull down the brace and then tighten the bolt. It'll keep that little guy from moving around.
If you follow this tip, it only takes a minute.
How much is the brace if you don't mind me asking? I've been thinking about stiffening up the chassis for awhile but I don't want to delete the aero pan on the Skyactiv just for the brace.
I got mine from Geoff at Cygnus Performance, who I know from Subarus. You just have to call or send him an email since he can get many parts not listed on the website. I am not sure of the piece price since I bought a bunch of GT Spec parts and he quoted me for everything.

I had to trim the plastic under-tray a little. I can take pictures for you this weekend - just let me know.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I enjoy my GTS-SUS-1135 brace as well. No one makes solid aluminum bushings to lock the front subframe to the unibody, so this brace is the next best alternative. The steering control and feedback is better since the lower control arms, front sway bar, and steering rack all bolt to the front subframe. I also have the H brace.

If you follow this tip, it only takes a minute.

I got mine from Geoff at Cygnus Performance, who I know from Subarus. You just have to call or send him an email since he can get many parts not listed on the website. I am not sure of the piece price since I bought a bunch of GT Spec parts and he quoted me for everything.

I had to trim the plastic under-tray a little. I can take pictures for you this weekend - just let me know.
Sure, I would like to take a look at what sort of trimming is needed. Thanks.

·
The Turbo Guy
205 Posts
@joey.lisano did you notice anything with the H-brace?
I installed the H brace with the ladder brace so I can't quantify the incremental improvement. This is not my first modified Japanese car so I can simply look at the available Mazda 3 parts and already know what I want, without reading people's opinions.

The steering wheel shakes a little at idle due to engine vibration with the upgraded rear engine mount and firmly bolted front subframe. The steering wheel also vibrates a little on the highway since the subframe bushings are not dampening the road vibrations. Obviously, OEMs try to reduce vibration, which comes at the expense of performance.

Sure, I would like to take a look at what sort of trimming is needed. Thanks.
Due to interference with the ladder brace, I had to cut the last few inches off the back with sheet metal snips. This removes the rear two plastic push pins. The rear portion now sits on top of the brace, just under the subframe. When installing the plastic under-tray, I insert the back into the slot, bent it in the U shape, and insert the front two prongs into the bumper. It still works fine - no regrets.

·
The Turbo Guy
205 Posts
@joey.lisano did the H-brace come with new bolts by any chance?
All of the GT Spec braces come with fasteners where necessary. The product picture on the GT Spec website is the detailed step-by-step instruction manual with torque specs...

On the H brace, the front connection points tie into the large bushing, and bolts are provided for the rear points. These braces do not require removal of any OEM braces, which I like.

·
The Turbo Guy
205 Posts
I should also mention that the front lower control arm tie brace is not a good fit for 2012 SkyActiv. The connection to the driver's side front LCA bushing is very close to the SkyActiv 6AT transmission, and the bar goes directly underneath the SkyActiv 2.0L oil filter (making it difficult, if not impossible, to change the oil). I chose to return it.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah the lower control arm bar is like that for every company, I have the Corksport one and pulling the plug is just a tad more difficult and oil splatters everywhere cuz the oil hits the bar when you pull the oil drain plug.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts