2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Mazda Chick
12 Posts
I had the dealership at 5 sunray st in whitby charging me 1000 dollars for front and rear brake job they told me they were giving me a deal when they said they dropped it down to 800. suffice to say i walk out of the dealership without paying anything and got my rears replace for free. i'll never go there again.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
in my opinion, most dealers are crap. weather it be sales or service it's all about getting as much money as possible. Sure there are some good ones, but they're not common.

Sales, it's all about getting as much as possible. They don't usually have much knowledge about what they're selling and often misrepresent the car. But you can be damn sure they're going to push that extended warranty. I had one tell me what a big favor he was doing by offering $200 of the sticker price of a $26k car.

Service is much the same, sell extra crap that isn't necessary. $80 for tossing injector cleaner into the gas tank that you didn't need anyway. Deny warranty claims. Replace parts like belts and air filters before they need it. And then there's my favorite: perform a "diagnosis" only to not find the problem but charge you for it anyway. Give us more to diagnose it!

I once did some work on my mom's car few years back as a birthday gift. Coolant flush, trans flush with new filter, new timing belt with new pullies and replaced the water pump. Less than 6 months later she had to go to the dealer and the tech tells her she needs a new timing belt RIGHT NOW before it breaks and blows the engine! He didn't like being called on his bullshit.

There's only one solution. Your knowledge. With sales, know what a reasonable price is for the car ahead of time. Research the shit out of it so you're not relying on the sales idiot. Take control of the sales process, don't let them lead you. When I go looking for a car, I tell them exactly what I want. Not the other way around.

With service, try to diagnose what you can on your own. Know what maintenance needs to be done and what doesn't. Don't get bullied into extra stuff on the spot without doing some research first. Again, lead the process. They're all taught to control the sale weather it be purchase or service. Take that away from them and it'll go much better for you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Anyone had experience with the Scarboro Mazda in Scarborough? They're also the same dealership behind mazdashop.ca, selling OEM mazda parts for Canadians. Was thinking of getting Android Auto retrokit from them

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5 non sky
1,495 Posts
Anyone had experience with the Scarboro Mazda in Scarborough? They're also the same dealership behind mazdashop.ca, selling OEM mazda parts for Canadians. Was thinking of getting Android Auto retrokit from them
Several in the Toronto Mazda 3 forum say stay away

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Many Mazda Dealerships offer 10% or more off parts if you are a TM3 (Toronto MAzda 3 member , just say you are)

I like the Agincourt Mazda
They are straight up and transparent on what needs to be done and what doesnt right now.
When i went off warranty i use a small local Scarborough garage call Gilman
And when working in Oakville used OakVille Auto Center - in the mall next to Canadian tire

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
in my opinion, most dealers are crap. weather it be sales or service it's all about getting as much money as possible. Sure there are some good ones, but they're not common.

Sales, it's all about getting as much as possible. They don't usually have much knowledge about what they're selling and often misrepresent the car. But you can be damn sure they're going to push that extended warranty. I had one tell me what a big favor he was doing by offering $200 of the sticker price of a $26k car.

Service is much the same, sell extra crap that isn't necessary. $80 for tossing injector cleaner into the gas tank that you didn't need anyway. Deny warranty claims. Replace parts like belts and air filters before they need it. And then there's my favorite: perform a "diagnosis" only to not find the problem but charge you for it anyway. Give us more to diagnose it!

I once did some work on my mom's car few years back as a birthday gift. Coolant flush, trans flush with new filter, new timing belt with new pullies and replaced the water pump. Less than 6 months later she had to go to the dealer and the tech tells her she needs a new timing belt RIGHT NOW before it breaks and blows the engine! He didn't like being called on his bullshit.

There's only one solution. Your knowledge. With sales, know what a reasonable price is for the car ahead of time. Research the shit out of it so you're not relying on the sales idiot. Take control of the sales process, don't let them lead you. When I go looking for a car, I tell them exactly what I want. Not the other way around.

With service, try to diagnose what you can on your own. Know what maintenance needs to be done and what doesn't. Don't get bullied into extra stuff on the spot without doing some research first. Again, lead the process. They're all taught to control the sale weather it be purchase or service. Take that away from them and it'll go much better for you.
Z is intense when it comes to unnecessary service

Reactions: zero_gravity

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Not afraid to admit that I'm both cheap and lazy
Not Cheap - You want most bang for your $$
Not Lazy - Im lazy i get others to do the mechanics

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Not Cheap - You want most bang for your $$
Not Lazy - Im lazy i get others to do the mechanics
Ok can't argue with that one, except it's more about time for me at this point in my life. I want any maintenance or repair job done right the first time to the highest standards reasonably possible. Not many shops are willing to do that unfortunately. But with me working a pretty awful continental 12 hr shift schedule and two young children at home, I'm not interested in wasting time.

Maybe better to say I want high quality done as efficiently as possible?

People I work with are often surprised at how much I do with my cars. I've often heard things like why would you do your own oil changes? Well I can do it just as fast as any shop can and then factor in driving there, waiting for your turn and driving back. It's way faster even taking disposal of the oil into account.

And now I've taken to keeping a few parts in stock. When I buy filter I go to the dealer and buy a case of 10. Spare set of pads and rotors, etc.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
3,703 Posts
I live in an apartment and it's illegal in my county to DIY repairs.. I still do it though.. just gotta chat with your manager and not leave a mess afterwards or piss off any neighbors in the process. By that I mean be friendly and courteous and keep the noise to a minimum.

Not as ideal as a private garage at home.. but it gets the job done. For the more serious diagnostics and engine work.. I go to the pros.. although that can be hit or miss in my experience.
CK

1 - 16 of 16 Posts