2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

Grinding Noise on Left Hand Turns

16K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  MrBen 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I've got a 2015 2.0L with a 6 speed with about 60k miles and I have recently developed a problem. On left hand turns, there is a grinding sound that's pretty aggressive. It sounds like a dust shield when doing minor turns, but if I make a 90* left like getting onto an on-ramp, it gets quite bad. I tried pushing the dust shield back with a long screwdriver, and even though the shield moved back, the noise didn't go away. Before I go tearing the brakes apart, has anyone else had this problem? My other thought is that it might be the drivers side engine mount (trans mount for FWD?). Sometimes I get a clunk when shifting 1-2 or 2-3. I've had the fluid filled mounts fail in my other cars, so I know it's a possibility.

I tried searching the forum for similar symptoms but couldn't find anything.

Thanks,
Stefan

#3 ·
If there is a grinding noise coming from the front of a FWD vehicle when turning either left or right then the most likely culprit is the CV axle bearings. Many moons ago, I owned a 1996 Protege wherein the CV axle bearings went out and people could hear me turning from far away. Since your vehicle is within the warranty period, I recommend you see if you can get it covered.

#9 ·
Thanks for the replies. I"m used to working on my Miata so worn CV's aren't something I deal with on a regular basis. I'll pop under and inspect it. Nothing I can't replace by myself if I find the time.

Will report back once it's fixed with an update.

Thanks again!

#10 ·
Finally got it to the shop today. Turns out the wheel bearing is toast. Weirdest sounding wheel bearing I’ve heard. No howl over 45, and the wheel was solid when I tried to shake it to check. I’ll be glad to have a car that comfortably makes left hand turns now. 60k Miles seems pretty low for a bearing failure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.