2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've got a 2015 2.0L with a 6 speed with about 60k miles and I have recently developed a problem. On left hand turns, there is a grinding sound that's pretty aggressive. It sounds like a dust shield when doing minor turns, but if I make a 90* left like getting onto an on-ramp, it gets quite bad. I tried pushing the dust shield back with a long screwdriver, and even though the shield moved back, the noise didn't go away. Before I go tearing the brakes apart, has anyone else had this problem? My other thought is that it might be the drivers side engine mount (trans mount for FWD?). Sometimes I get a clunk when shifting 1-2 or 2-3. I've had the fluid filled mounts fail in my other cars, so I know it's a possibility.

I tried searching the forum for similar symptoms but couldn't find anything.

Thanks,
Stefan

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,265 Posts
Hey guys,

I've got a 2015 2.0L with a 6 speed with about 60k miles and I have recently developed a problem. On left hand turns, there is a grinding sound that's pretty aggressive. It sounds like a dust shield when doing minor turns, but if I make a 90* left like getting onto an on-ramp, it gets quite bad. I tried pushing the dust shield back with a long screwdriver, and even though the shield moved back, the noise didn't go away. Before I go tearing the brakes apart, has anyone else had this problem? My other thought is that it might be the drivers side engine mount (trans mount for FWD?). Sometimes I get a clunk when shifting 1-2 or 2-3. I've had the fluid filled mounts fail in my other cars, so I know it's a possibility.

Thanks,
Stefan
It's good to bring it to Mazda service and see if it's a warranty item.

·
Registered
255 Posts
If there is a grinding noise coming from the front of a FWD vehicle when turning either left or right then the most likely culprit is the CV axle bearings. Many moons ago, I owned a 1996 Protege wherein the CV axle bearings went out and people could hear me turning from far away. Since your vehicle is within the warranty period, I recommend you see if you can get it covered.

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,265 Posts
60K seems to be the ceiling for the standard warranty, but you can get a estimated on the repair -

·
Registered
6 Posts
60K seems to be the ceiling for the standard warranty, but you can get a estimated on the repair -
Yeah, was just curious if I was missing something. They do seem to like to charge quite a bit for diagnosis though. $130ish here in Portland. I guess it could be money well spent if it's a hard problem to track down though

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey guys,

Thanks,
Stefan
I'm probably only suggesting this 'cause one of mine is bad, but might it be a wheel bearing? I do get a clunk from shifting from park to drive. No grinding noise, but I believe that's a common symptom.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I've not had this problem on a Mazda , but on other cars this noise on turning has been caused by a bad CV joint.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies. I"m used to working on my Miata so worn CV's aren't something I deal with on a regular basis. I'll pop under and inspect it. Nothing I can't replace by myself if I find the time.

Will report back once it's fixed with an update.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finally got it to the shop today. Turns out the wheel bearing is toast. Weirdest sounding wheel bearing I’ve heard. No howl over 45, and the wheel was solid when I tried to shake it to check. I’ll be glad to have a car that comfortably makes left hand turns now. 60k Miles seems pretty low for a bearing failure.

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,265 Posts
Finally got it to the shop today. Turns out the wheel bearing is toast. Weirdest sounding wheel bearing I’ve heard. No howl over 45, and the wheel was solid when I tried to shake it to check. I’ll be glad to have a car that comfortably makes left hand turns now. 60k Miles seems pretty low for a bearing failure.
Was it covered by warranty?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts