2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, its been around 10 degrees and lower here in Michigan lately. Within the last week I've been hearing this awful grinding/dragging noise every time I hit a bump. I thought originally that my rally armor flaps were dragging but I was thinking that it wouldn't make sense since I've never heard them before and have had them on for about 6 months. One does have a loose bolt in which I described in another thread but I find it hard to believe that it's causing this much noise.

Also, I've been hearing it come from a few areas but it sounds like it's primarily coming from the same side as the flap with the lose bolt (rear passenger). So, I'm not really sure what's going on. I did some searching and people have been saying that it's common in cold weather. I'm not sure how much I believe that. Any ideas? I've also been reading that it could be end links as well. Has anyone experienced this? What'd you do to resolve it. Please let me know if you'd like me to clarify anything. It's a 2013 MS3.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Hey all, its been around 10 degrees and lower here in Michigan lately. Within the last week I've been hearing this awful grinding/dragging noise every time I hit a bump. I thought originally that my rally armor flaps were dragging but I was thinking that it wouldn't make sense since I've never heard them before and have had them on for about 6 months. One does have a loose bolt in which I described in another thread but I find it hard to believe that it's causing this much noise.

Also, I've been hearing it come from a few areas but it sounds like it's primarily coming from the same side as the flap with the lose bolt (rear passenger). So, I'm not really sure what's going on. I did some searching and people have been saying that it's common in cold weather. I'm not sure how much I believe that. Any ideas? I've also been reading that it could be end links as well. Has anyone experienced this? What'd you do to resolve it. Please let me know if you'd like me to clarify anything. It's a 2013 MS3.

To be sure if it's your mud flaps or not, lower your side mirrors so you can see if the noise come when you over a bump. Is it only over bumps or do you hear it when you brake? What does the grind sound like (slows when you slow down, door creak, bed spring creak, different noise will mean different things)
Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To be sure if it's your mud flaps or not, lower your side mirrors so you can see if the noise come when you over a bump. Is it only over bumps or do you hear it when you brake? What does the grind sound like (slows when you slow down, door creak, bed spring creak, different noise will mean different things)
Not when I'm braking, only on bumps. Now it sounds like it's coming from both the front and the back. Here's a video of my drive, you can clearly hear it after my first left turn. You'll hear it best towards the middle of the video.

MS3 Scrape - YouTube

Click above for both audio and video.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Not when I'm braking, only on bumps. Now it sounds like it's coming from both the front and the back. Here's a video of my drive, you can clearly hear it after my first left turn. You'll hear it best towards the middle of the video.

MS3 Scrape - YouTube

Click above for both audio and video.
That noise sounded ugly. I guess the shudder in the video makes the noise sound worse than it actually is. Is your car lowered? Any suspension mods? Any tire mods? Do you hear it even after long drives with the car warmed up? Definitely check your end links front and rear

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That noise sounded ugly. I guess the shudder in the video makes the noise sound worse than it actually is. Is your car lowered? Any suspension mods? Any tire mods? Do you hear it even after long drives with the car warmed up? Definitely check your end links front and rear

No suspension mods as of now. Stock ride height, wheels and tires are my winter set and are 17's on Bridgeston Blizzaks. I heard it for the first time 2-3 weeks ago but then didn't really hear it again until this last week and now I hear it all the time. With that being said, that's why I don't think it's my flaps dragging as it's always happening and it had never happened before. Also, it happens even if the car has been warmed up. The video I posted was near my street after driving for about 40min beforehand. I just scheduled an appointment at the dealer for tomorrow morning since it's still under warranty.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
No suspension mods as of now. Stock ride height, wheels and tires are my winter set and are 17's on Bridgeston Blizzaks. I heard it for the first time 2-3 weeks ago but then didn't really hear it again until this last week and now I hear it all the time. With that being said, that's why I don't think it's my flaps dragging as it's always happening and it had never happened before. Also, it happens even if the car has been warmed up. The video I posted was near my street after driving for about 40min beforehand. I just scheduled an appointment at the dealer for tomorrow morning since it's still under warranty.
Damn stock suspension then I have no idea, it shouldn't be your end links then. But yea I'd see what the dealer has to say about it

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Damn stock suspension then I have no idea, it shouldn't be your end links then. But yea I'd see what the dealer has to say about it

I'm wondering if this is just really stupid and could be something as simple as snow buildup. I haven't been able to spray it out since its been negative temperatures outside and I don't want want everything to ice over. I'll report back with what the dealer has to say and I'm hoping they don't just try and feed me some bullshit. Also, I have a CS RSB that I need to install but its just been too cold. If it's the end links I may suck it up and install it this weekend.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Resolved. Two things, slightly loose end links and an absurd amount of snow buildup. Couldn't take it anymore so I jacked it up when I got home the other night and investigated. So, if you hear the sound in the video and you live in a snowy climate, that's the first thing I'd check. My end links were hardly loose and not a huge contributing factor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts