·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are these grilles interchangeable?

·
Registered
452 Posts
Id imagine the whole front bumper would need swapped. Then u run into fitment issues with the parts like the intake and radiator.

Im not sure of the answer, but u could probably figure it out easily if u had a 2.0 and 2.5 next to eachother to compare the engine bays.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh. I believe the grilles are separate from the bumpers.

·
Original Member
262 Posts
No, not interchangeable. It's hard to tell, but if you look close enough, you can see the grille opening in each bumper is slightly different...as is each fog opening. nizzy1115 was saying if you swap bumpers to make this work, then you might run into problems with ducting to the radiator and such...as well as your fog lamps not fitting and having to use the 2.0 fog delete panels (unless you're going the other way, and then you'd have to get fog lamps because your 2.0 fog delete panels won't fit).

·
Banned
1,130 Posts
No, not interchangeable. It's hard to tell, but if you look close enough, you can see the grille opening in each bumper is slightly different...as is each fog opening. nizzy1115 was saying if you swap bumpers to make this work, then you might run into problems with ducting to the radiator and such...as well as your fog lamps not fitting and having to use the 2.0 fog delete panels (unless you're going the other way, and then you'd have to get fog lamps because your 2.0 fog delete panels won't fit).
the fog area is separate from the grill; idk why you're bringing it up.

personally, i don't see they wouldn't be interchangable (seriously, how could you have fitment issues with that thin piece of plastic?), but idk how easy it would be. afterall, the grills are now the same across all trims (2010.5, 2011), unlike the 2010s.

·
Registered
40 Posts
everything in the two pictures looks to match up as far as the inlets for airflow go. You would have to check if there are actual screws/ clips that hold it in but otherwise there should be no problem with fitment. otherwise you will most likeley run into fitment issues

·
Banned
1,130 Posts
everything in the two pictures looks to match up as far as the inlets for airflow go. You would have to check if there are actual screws/ clips that hold it in but otherwise there should be no problem with fitment. otherwise you will most likeley run into fitment issues
thank god there's someone in this thread that actually knows what the OP is talking about.

·
Original Member
262 Posts

Look a little closer. The bottom of the "smiles" in the center grille openings are shaped slightly different. And the fog openings are even more clearly different if you look above each fog lamp. Also, if the parts are all interchangeable, then why are there are two different part #s for each bumper? One for the 2.5L and one for the 2.0L.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Look a little closer. The bottom of the "smiles" in the center grille openings are shaped slightly different. And the fog openings are even more clearly different if you look above each fog lamp. Also, if the parts are all interchangeable, then why are there are two different part #s for each bumper? One for the 2.5L and one for the 2.0L.
I think because in early 2010s (such as mine) the "smile" intakes and foglight cutouts are different from their equivalent 's' models. However starting with 2010.5's and 2011's, the 'i' models have the same front bumper as the 's' models. Perhaps the two part #'s are the same for the early 2010's vs. later 2010s, or maybe you're right and there are mounting point differences (and the similarities are only on the outside)

·
Original Member
262 Posts
I think because in early 2010s (such as mine) the "smile" intakes and foglight cutouts are different from their equivalent 's' models. However starting with 2010.5's and 2011's, the 'i' models have the same front bumper as the 's' models. Perhaps the two part #'s are the same for the early 2010's vs. later 2010s, or maybe you're right and there are mounting point differences (and the similarities are only on the outside)

That could be, but purely speaking about the two bumper pictures posted, they are different. No doubt about it. I'll edit the photos to point out the differences when I get a chance.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Regarding the pictures posted: the top one is the early '10 i bumper (my car) and the bottom one is the 's' bumper, available on 's' models from the start and 'i' models from 2010.5 on. The 'i' models just have foglights omitted, but the cutout shape is the same, and grille opening is different. No idea why the change, but I'm betting they're interchangeable

·
Original Member
262 Posts
Regarding the pictures posted: the top one is the early '10 i bumper (my car) and the bottom one is the 's' bumper, available on 's' models from the start and 'i' models from 2010.5 on. The 'i' models just have foglights omitted, but the cutout shape is the same, and grille opening is different. No idea why the change, but I'm betting they're interchangeable

I suspect you're correct about the year split, but I'm not sure. OP is asking if the two grilles pictured are interchangeable, which they are not. I know that the bumpers are likely interchangeable, but you would have to buy the bumper, the fog panels, and the center grille to make that swap work....and there is the unknown possibility that you might have fitment issues with radiator ducting or other items behind the bumper, but that could likely be easily fixed if so.

These pictures point out the differences in the two bumpers posted. Hope this helps. If anyone is still in doubt, go ahead and buy the grille and try it...then post up in this thread.

·
Banned
1,130 Posts
DUDE. grille is a grille, fog light housing is fog light housing! they're separate parts, why do you keep bringing it up?

i'll end this thread here. you are not going to run into fitment issues with a piece of plastic. you can also see that the grille is not molded to bumper; it simply covers the opening. reference:

·
Registered
523 Posts
here are the diferent grils from the cataloge and they seem to attach even in the same place

mine (european)

red car above

silver car above

its missing here the japanese/sporty one and the mps of course

is totally your responsability to try and change them ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts