2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen MX5 10-spoke wheels that have been painted grey, or similar? I picked up a set that are in pretty rough shape. I might get them refinished before putting them on. I am trying to decide if I want the OEM silver, or try something different. Any pictures would be great!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just test mounted one wheel before I send them off to get refinished. The silver just looks too good and " OEM correct". I will just get them refinished in silver. They look so much better then the stock skyactiv wheels. And noticeably lighter as well.

Sorry for the cell phone/low light picture. I will get the SLR out for pictures once they are refinished.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Looks good. Oh and Sky Blue ftw! :D

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
I really like those! Nice choice op! :yes:

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Broke Postbac.
536 Posts
And noticeably lighter as well.
They are 17lbs each, which is only 1lbs heavier than our stock 16" wheels.(Source)

It looks really good though. I might try to get these cheap instead of buying aftermarket rims! :yes:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They are 17lbs each, which is only 1lbs heavier than our stock 16" wheels.(Source)

It looks really good though. I might try to get these cheap instead of buying aftermarket rims! :yes:
Thanks everyone. I think they will look great too.

The Skyactiv wheels were weighed at 19 pounds from someone on this forum. So the MX5 wheels are 2 pounds lighter, plus the tires on them now are a few pounds lighter then the stock Bridgestones.

·
Broke Postbac.
536 Posts
The Skyactiv wheels were weighed at 19 pounds from someone on this forum. So the MX5 wheels are 2 pounds lighter, plus the tires on them now are a few pounds lighter then the stock Bridgestones.
The stock 16" are 19lbs? That's quite heavy for 16".

Where are you buying them from? Most dealers list them $400+ but I'm not sure if that's the price for a set of 4, or just 1 piece.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Where are you buying them from? Most dealers list them $400+ but I'm not sure if that's the price for a set of 4, or just 1 piece.
I bought a used set from a local guy. They are in 7/10 shape so I will get them refinished. They will still be way cheaper then aftermarket wheels.

·
Mazda Maniac
15 Posts

That'd be for one rim if it's a dealer price.

OP, wheels look great on the car. Had a hard time deciding between miata and MS3 wheels, chose the speed wheels. You thought about a gunmetal/grey powdercoat? I bet it would look good on that blue.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You thought about a gunmetal/grey powdercoat? I bet it would look good on that blue.
I did think about it, but I am going to stick with silver to keep a clean OEM look. I dropped them off yesterday for a full straighten, strip, powder coat, and clear coat. They should be done thursday/friday. I won't have new tires mounted for a while though.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I did think about it, but I am going to stick with silver to keep a clean OEM look. I dropped them off yesterday for a full straighten, strip, powder coat, and clear coat. They should be done thursday/friday. I won't have new tires mounted for a while though.
I'm thinking of doing what you did to my stock MX3 wheels...do you mind posting the cost of your project? Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm thinking of doing what you did to my stock MX3 wheels...do you mind posting the cost of your project? Thanks!
It is $135 a wheel for tire removal, strip, fix heavy curb rash on each wheel, straighten each wheel, powder coat, clear coat, re-balance. One wheel had a large bend in the lip that will also be fixed. Not the cheapest, but the shop is well known and I have had other wheels fixed there and they do a great job.

Total cost will still be below similar weight aftermarket wheels. If you are just getting a powder coat job it should be quite a bit less.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Thanks....I'll just need the powdercoat and clearcoat. My wheels are in good shape, just thinking about changing the color. Thanks again!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
All done! They look brand new. I did go with the silver, so nothing too exciting to see, but it's always nice seeing a set of wheels with bends, scratches, curb rash, and chipped paint to brand new powder coat, clear coat, and no dents or anything!

I will be buying new tires eventually and then I will take pictures.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
are they on your 3 now? if you don't mind can you take some pictures of the front side and rear? i've been wanting to do the same setup
Not yet, I still need to get a set of new tires. I will get some good pictures once they are on.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts