2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’d like to introduce myself as a new member to this forum. I used to drive a 2004 Corvette C5 Coupe on which I had put about 80,000 miles as my daily driver. I’ve had it on the race track several times and in many car shows. Unfortunately, I blew up the transmission and had to sell it. Goodbye Corvette.

Hello Mazda3

In my search for a car to replace the 'Vette - one that can hold more than just a single passenger and have more cargo capacity, but still had spirit, I came across the Mazda3. My wife drives an ’08 MX-5 PRHT, so I am already familiar with Mazda performance.

I selected the 2016 Mazda3 Hatchback sGT in Soul Red, which I bought this week. I look forward to driving this and to meeting and discussing this great car with fellow enthusiasts.

Reactions: Road Trip

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new ride. Panning any mods? Happy motoring from Thailand.
I made many performance mods on my Corvette, which this Mazda3 replaced, but for now, the only currently "planned" mods are updating the wheels and tinting the windows against the Florida sun.

Reactions: Rdrokit

·
On that college budget
5,278 Posts
I'm from Cape Coral, but live nowhere near there now. Glad to see another person from the area on the forums now though. I'd say grab a tune and some nice tires/suspensions and go to the track in it. I promise you'll be surprised by the way it handles.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome! So how was it comparing with your old c5 except the speed and power off course.
2016 Mazda3 sGT vs 2004 Corvette C5 Coupe

From a handling point of view I am impressed with the Mazda3. I had upgraded the ‘Vette with performance tires, shocks and sway bars but the 3 handles well right out of the box. I can only imagine it would be even better with performance upgrades.

With the handling upgrades to the ‘Vette, the ride was very stiff, but the 3 rides a lot smoother.

Of course the amenities for a 2016 sGT are superior to the 2004 Corvette, (Navigation, Audio, Rear Camera, Safety Features, etc,) although I am glad to see the 3 has a HUD as the ‘Vette did!!

The turning circle for the 3 is about 5 feet shorter, so that helps a lot. The 3 is about 3.5 inches shorter in length and about 3.5 inches narrower in width, which makes it more maneuverable than the C5 ‘Vette.

All in all, it looks like the Mazda3 will prove to be a worthy investment for me.

All that said, let me put this into perspective. The 2004 Corvette Coupe cost $45k new. The 2016 Mazda3 sGT is about $27k new. The Corvette and the Mazda have different missions. There are several alternatives to replace a Corvette. Were my intentions to find an adequate replacement for a Chevy Corvette, I probably would have looked elsewhere. My goals were to have a 2016, 5-passenger sedan with adequate cargo space and decent performance for around $25k.

The Mazda3 Hatchback fit that bill very nicely, and I anticipate having a ton of fun in this car.

Reactions: Road Trip

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I made many performance mods on my Corvette, which this Mazda3 replaced, but for now, the only currently "planned" mods are updating the wheels and tinting the windows against the Florida sun.
So just an update, I had the wheels professionally painted (I'll post pics if I can) and have tinted the windows, just as I have planned.

Of course, anyone who has a Mazda3 knows one cannot stop modding there, and it turns out I'm no exception.

I have added a strut brace, I have a Magnaflow exhaust ready for installation, and a K&N CAI on order.

Reactions: Rdrokit

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
First attempt to attach pictures. Here is my car with the painted wheels and tinted glass. The other photo is one wheel from the custom painter.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts