2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So about three weeks ago, I noticed that I was not getting any album info displayed when listening to the radio. I checked and yes, the Use Gracenote Database is checked in setitngs. I upgraded to the latest version of the database, but I am still not getting any album info displayed. Is anyone else having this issue or have any ideas on how to solve the problem without having to go to the dealer?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Gracenote is flakey at best, it all depends of the metadata in the track/broadcast.
Start with factory resetting the infotainment system and go from there.
Test with bluetooth/usb sources as well to see if the issue is isolated to simply am/fm or across the board. Try cmu update as well

·
Registered
32 Posts
@Harps you have any info when you listen any FM radio stations, logo and other info like soundtrack or something?
In my country we see just the name of radio station and the frequency, no logo.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did try doing a reset for the infotaiment without any change. I will try a usb source and see if it works there. What is strange is that it was working just fine for FM sations until about 3 - 4 weeks ago and then it quit. Very odd. Now I just get the station info.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought I would update this. Went to run errands today, and lo and behold I am now getting the expected display from radio stations with the album art and full song title. This is very weird as I have not done anything. So as mysterioulsy as it went away, it has just as mysteriously returned.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Does anyone have any updated stories / situations on the radio album or song titles displaying? Since buying my car in Feb 2020, I've only ever seen station names and the station's logo (although the logos do take about 30secs or so to display for some reason). I updated Gracenote two days ago but not change as yet.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The Gracenote DB is so dumb, in my opinion. I wish I could just disable it and get rid of the stupid logo that is always in the corner (even when you ostensibly have it turned off). It doesn't do anything for me except show totally irrelevant icons and "artwork". I guess most of the music I listen to is obscure enough that it doesn't even have any matching artwork in its database and when it does it's so useless that i'd rather just have nothing and see more text.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the reply Supacon. While personally I wouldn't yet call it 'dumb', I'm definitely at 'annoying trending to dumb unless otherwise convinced' haha. I admit I may not be doing the right things to get it working, but if it isn't intuitive enough for my relatively educated mind to figure out, it's not a great sign. Before I continue, perhaps we should confirm we're both using the same thing here - I have an Australian model 2019 Astina G25 Sedan with version 1.1.1.02058 of Gracenote installed via USB (downloaded as 'Gracenote_1.1.1.02058_EU.mcg' from the Mazda website). Are you the same?

Below I list some comments and questions which I welcome further comment or response from you or anyone else interested. I haven't yet asked my Mazda dealership about the issue yet - maybeI should.

Comments / Questions

1. To clarify, my particular issue is that song and band title information isn't appearing on my Infotainment screen when I'm listening to either FM, AM or DAB radio stations. That information does appear connected to a Bluetooth device, but that's because that information is part of the Bluetooth data stream.

2. I recently had a loan car while my Mazda was being serviced - it was a basic model Mazda CX3 and the song / band titles worked perfectly fine on the radio stations. This is mostly what lead me to wonder my car wasn't doing it. So somehow, under some specific conditions at least, the functionality exists and works. :)

3. Question: Is Gracenote definitely the tool which displays that information when listening to the radio, or does Gracenote just apply to when you're listening to songs from other media sources, e.g. a USB drive or a device connected to the AUX port? Or to ask that question another way: Doesn't that info get transmitted to the car's radio as part of the digital radio signal / stream it receives along withe the music stream itself? I have a radio at home which displays that information WITHOUT any referencing an external database file, i.e. it obtains that information from the radio signal it receives. If Gracenote is indeed the tool used to feed that info to the radio, then it'd have to be updated so frequently for new songs that are continuously released, which sounds clumsy at best. Is that right? The other reason I ask is because the Infotainment system has two distinct menu groupings relating to 'song text' - one is the Gracenote menu items (which references updating the database, etc), and the other is the 'Radio Text' menu item, which I assumed from the start is the one controlling / feeding that info to the display, not Gracenote.

4. Today I experimented some more, and noticed that the 'Radio Text' menu item sometimes displays some song / band info, sometimes displays the radio station's tag line (e.g. "All the great rock hits, Triple M") and sometimes displays nothing at all - quite intermittent behaviour. But today when I exited that screen, BOOM, the song / band info appeared on the main screen. I then waited for the song to change, but oddly the song info didn't update / refresh until the END of that next song (rather than at the start as you'd expect) so that was also confusing. However, when I changed stations and then went back to Triple M, the song info wasn't there and didn't appear again no matter how long I waited. So a small amount of success but definitely not what I'd call 'working'.

Cheers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts