2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else notice just how much your ETA fluctuates while driving when you have a destination set in the navigation? I've noticed it swing as much as 30 minutes which makes it less useful.

From observing it and compared to other GPS systems, it seems the Mazda system does a more basic calculation using your current speed and distance remaining to calculate the ETA. This as opposed to your average speed on the current route and real-time or historical average speeds for the remainder of your route.

I think the issue is further exasperated during city driving with a lot of stop/go traffic, where the system recalculates and gives you an unrealistic time while you wait at a stop light, for example.

I used the Waze app for almost 2 years and the ETA rarely fluctuated more than 5 minutes at most during the whole journey. I think the logic and routing engine was far superior in that regard.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Yes the stop and go will definitely affect it...... But 30 min swings are a lot unless you get crawling traffic and lots of lights........

Any chance someone could scan the face of their north American SD card to show the part numbers as I have a chance to pick up one for half price and want to make sure it is a 2014 one with correct NavTech part numbers. Thanks

·
Technical Director
303 Posts
I have driven from Tulsa, OK to Mayfield, KY and back twice, and mine stayed pretty accurate. As I'd get a couple of hours into the drive, the ETA did trim itself back about 10 minutes. It was pretty good for an eight hour drive.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have the same problem as the OP.
It happens when there's heavy traffic on the way to a destination.
The first ETA before departure is within 5 minutes of Waze; however, if there's traffic in route and it is stop and go the ETA adds 30-40 minutes for a total commute of 20+ miles. It seems to take the current speed avg to compute arrival time. It's quite annoying so I only use Waze for commute where I know I will encounter heavy traffic. For light duty driving around town then I use the in-vehicle navigation.

They certainly need to fix the algorithm because the live traffic report becomes useless for route optimization.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Has anyone determined if the "Historical Traffic Data" in the navigation system also includes the data you generate driving the car?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts