2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

Got pulled over this morning!

5K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  Flaring Afro 
#1 ·
Yep, but the cop let me go with a warning. He pulled me over for my smoked license plates. I have had them on since August or September with no issue, finally got caught. :p Now I feel naked! I know it's illegal, but the car looked sweet with them on.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I've got a tinted license plate covers so you got me thinking ... and then I googled this.

"Colorado Revised Statutes:
42-3-202 (3) (b):
(b) A person shall not operate a motor vehicle with an affixed device or a substance that causes all or a portion of a license plate to be unreadable by a system used to automatically identify a motor vehicle. Such a device includes, without limitation, a cover that distorts angular visibility; alters the color of the plate; or is smoked, tinted, scratched, or dirty so as to impair the legibility of the license plate."

Doh!!!!

Oh well, I'm not taking mine off until I get pulled over. Anyway, the legibility is only slightly impaired at night.

Attachments

#3 ·
I was walking the dog this morning after the cop pulled me over. I was four houses down from where I was parked. There was a car parked across the street. I couldn't read his plate with no cover on. When you are close you can read with no issues. So bummed!

#4 ·
Actually the EZ Pass tag holder on my plate is illegal too because it obstructs the letter/numbers.

#5 ·
Yeah those plate covers do look good. My car's white so the white plate doesn't look that bad, except on the front. Hate having front plates on :( On my previous car I did not have front plates on and I got a ticket while parked outside, at 1 am in front of my home :( Wish Cali doesn't require having the stupid front plates lol

#6 ·
Yeah, wish NJ didn't require fronts too!

#7 ·
Yeah those covers are not a good idea here in Ontario, I had them before then got rid of them before I was pulled over.

I used to have on CS plate frames until I was pulled over and cop told me that the word "ontario" was obstructed by the frame.

Last year I bought the OEM plate frames and I love them, also they don't block the state/province on the plate.

#8 ·
I just went out and bought myself some clear LP covers, though I think either the smoke/tinted or blue options would have gone nicer with the Liquid Silver. But didn't want to give the Maryland State Police any reason to ask me for a "voluntary donation".

Glad he let you go with just a warning!

Reactions: leela222
#9 ·
That really sucks.
Here in California, you can't have anything over your plates, other than a frame.
Even if the cover is clear. You can't even lacquer your plate, essentially.
Applying anything to make the plate more "shiny" is illegal. (Trying to outsmart toll cameras)

Reactions: leela222
#13 ·
That's OK, I love it! :)

#18 ·
I was going to buy one for the front or make my own, but I just wanted it blacked out.

#19 ·
I have those same tinted plate covers, which I bought from pep boys. Only reason I bought them because the white plates clash with my blacked out theme. I was warned about them once when I got pulled over for tint, but not really bothered otherwise. I will avoid or hide from popos if I see them, like I did today. A bunch of them out in my hood. They are annoying to say the least. CA now has reissued the black plates w/yellow numbers from the 50s/60s and once I get those, the covers will come off.

#21 ·
You could get a ticket from it. Also, I feel like it would block some of your vision. Definitely not worth doing permanently. The way I see it, if a cop actually cares if the front plate is there, he/she will also probably be strict on how it's mounted. I don't think the odds of being pulled over would be that much less with it in the windshield, though I can't say from experience.

Since the dealer drills holes in the grill, my current plan is to prevent that and put the front plate in the spare tire area and if pulled over, tell the cop I hadn't gotten around to drilling the holes for the plate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.