2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody,

I'm Ben and we just bought a nicely used 2012 Mazda 3 Skyactiv. The headlights flicker when I'm slowing down and it has a small exhaust leak where the center pipe meets the muffler, but so far I'm happy!:laugh2:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Welcome! Pretty new to the forum myself, but I've had my 2012 Mazda3 Skyactiv for about 4 years now and love it. The headlight flicker is a known issue that they have a TSB for, but since 2012 is far out of warranty, idk if it's worth paying for a fix. When I had my VVT recall taken care of they said the reprogram they did should take care of the headlight issue too, but it didn't. I'm so used to it now I barely notice.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What's the VVT recall? I had the rear hatch struts recall done. Interestingly enough, the metal stands that the struts attach to are pretty rusted. I thought they'd replace those, but nope.

·
Super Moderator
717 Posts
Welcome!

·
Registered
18 Posts
What's the VVT recall? I had the rear hatch struts recall done. Interestingly enough, the metal stands that the struts attach to are pretty rusted. I thought they'd replace those, but nope.
If I recall right, VVT is Variable Valve Timing and there was an ECM update/reprogram for it. If they didn't mention it when you got the struts done then yours probably had it done already (it was before the strut recall). I actually haven't got around to getting the struts done yet.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. They definitely didn't mention it. I had a copy of the FSB with me, but they said that they'd have to run diagnostics starting at $80 first. I opted to skip it for now, but it's starting to annoy me.

The other night I was pulling into a parking lot and my headlights flashed and another car thought I was flashing them that they could go first. Luckily they didn't!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts