2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did not ask for these LED strips, nor do I really care for them, as I don't want my car looking "ghetto" as many aftermarket stick on LED kits make it appear but this kit seems half decent comes with 12 volt accessory power and hardwire capability 12 or 16 cant remember off hand programmable colors and can "dance" to music according to the package. Its about 12" of LED a small control box the 12 volt plug in and some wire to hard wire if you so choose. I have an 11 GT hatch sunroof all the extras so any suggestions on placement or where to wires these suckers up to would be great. I am thinking footwell accents (under dash or the center stack trim facing out) need to see how bright they actually are for that. the car is velocity red(see signature) but really just need to know a good place to wire it up to, good fuse in the fuse box or other location to tie into. or any other suggestions on placement.

Thanks

·
Registered
215 Posts
How about in your hatch area, it really lacks with the single light we have. I put some COB LED's in mine and it really lights it up.

Reactions: kms1990

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How about in your hatch area, it really lacks with the single light we have. I put some COB LED's in mine and it really lights it up.
That's a good thought and I could wire it to that light. Your right that little light in the back is almost pointless its so dim.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I thought I had a picture here on the forum, but couldn't find it.

I put my lighting on each side and I used eyelet terminal connector to connect the wires to the original switch (leave the light in there also), so all you have to do it use the switch to turn them on/off.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Here you go. Don't mind the dog hair. lol

Attachments

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here you go. Don't mind the dog hair. lol
Nah, dog hair is fine. I think I will run with this as that looks clean and helps with the darkness back there a lot, that's a lot of light in that pic. I am in the hatch for work a lot now and would appreciate having some more light when I park in the parking garages at many of my sites or early in the morning/later evening when the sun is weak. If you don't mind, how did you wire it to the switch, just hot to hot and ground to ground, or is it more complicated then that? also where did you stuff all the extra wiring to keep it hidden? I have the bose system so the sub is right above my spare tire. I can figure out how to make em stick on my own if the adhesive on them is weak as many of the kits are, gorilla glue helps a lot.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Yes, hot to hot and ground to ground, using the eyelet connectors at the ends of the original light (let me know if you want a picture of that). I got the idea of using the eyelet connectors from somewhere else, but it works. So I basically took apart the whole back area, the plastic sides and spare wheel area, to be able to run the wires and I actually mounted the COB LED's on the outside of the plastic. The LED's have some double sided tape on them, but I still used some zip-ties to keep them up there. You cannot see them mounted on the outside, unless you look hard enough.

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, hot to hot and ground to ground, using the eyelet connectors at the ends of the original light (let me know if you want a picture of that). I got the idea of using the eyelet connectors from somewhere else, but it works. So I basically took apart the whole back area, the plastic sides and spare wheel area, to be able to run the wires and I actually mounted the COB LED's on the outside of the plastic. The LED's have some double sided tape on them, but I still used some zip-ties to keep them up there. You cannot see them mounted on the outside, unless you look hard enough.
By eyelet you mean those little square ended connectors that speakers use in the car right? if so that's easy and the hardest thing will be routing the wire nice and hidden and making sure the led strips themselves stay up.

·
Registered
215 Posts

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, I thought the bulb in that hole was a tube type that had prongs on each end and I could just tie to it. Ya a pic of that setup would be helpful if you could.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Yeah, it's a festoon type bulb. I'll try to get a pic tonight and post.

·
Registered
215 Posts
KMS, here you go, one of the unit out and one of the LED bar.

I have two sets of wires going into the eyelet connectors and this LED bar I didn't zip tie, but I will have to since the double-sided tape came loose the other day. Standing above, you can't tell they are there.

Attachments

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
KMS, here you go, one of the unit out and one of the LED bar.

I have two sets of wires going into the eyelet connectors and this LED bar I didn't zip tie, but I will have to since the double-sided tape came loose the other day. Standing above, you can't tell they are there.
Ok, see I did not notice there was holes in that plastic on the underside, that's an odd thing. I wonder if they have the holes for venting. I was wondering how you zip tied them. makes sense now, I may just zip tie and make my life easier, hell that's how my front license plate is on Texas requires fronts so I put an aftermarket bracket on (car did not have one when I got it) well minor issue is the bumper curves in the middle of that bracket so its not 100% straight, that and the screw holes on the bracket for the plate barely went over the bumper so if I were to put screws in them it would scar up the bumper. so a frame and zip ties to hold the frame at the bottom to the plate and zip ties at the top to hold the frame and plate to the bracket and we call it a day cut em back and hid the big square parts behind the plate and you can barely see it. I really only have a frame on it to keep myself from cutting myself or my towels on the sharp edge of the plates when I wash the car. lol

Anyways back to the issue at hand with the light strips, When I get home I am going to post a pic or 2 of the kit I got, it did not have a hardwire setup (just accessory power) but that was solved quickly with some wire cutters tested to make sure they still came on by touching the wires to my battery and turning them on. works fine so I have hardwire ready now. My problem now is I thought it was a 2 strip kit and its a 4 strip kit, and the wires between the strips themselves don't seem very long. the main power wire to them is extremely long so that's not an issue but mounting them and getting wires to go that aren't long between strips might be. worse case I realize this weekend the wiring wont work and just don't do it. But I also have not completely unwound all the wiring yet (did not want to get it all tangled up) so it may have more length then I think. that and its all white colored so any showing wire will stick out like a sore thumb, good thing I know how to hide wiring, from car audio installs those wires are usually bright colors and look bad when you see them. the led strips themselves are nice and bright and actually look more like neon light tubes then led strips but are squishy which is weird.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Yeah, there's really nothing there to vent, but they are there. It would probably be easier to just zip tie them.

I found out about the COB LED's here on the forum, they don't look like much, but they work great with their light output.

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here are the pics, one of the main connecting spot, all the wires come in, cannot be easily seperated one of the shorter 2 wires to led strips (the one with wood flooring in the pic) one with longer 2 wires that lead to the strips and one thats a pic of the led tube itself.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts