2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5 non sky
682 Posts
since you're adding extra weight in an undesirable location (ahead of front wheels), then i agree, compensating by reducing weight from the battery will be very helpful in reducing dive under braking & maintaining steering lightness. since LiFePO4 doesn't offgas like SLA, you could even relocate the battery to the cabin or trunk for an even more dramatic difference. though you would need heavy wiring for the relocation

the peeps over at the miata forum have been dabbling with lightweight batteries as well, check it out: Programmable Search Engine
they don't seem to like shorai batteries, fyi @JoeMini
Oh well ... i got it now so im going to use it.
I think before you start to move stuff around the car to different locations you should get the cars 4 corners weighted.
Pulling weight out is great becuase will weight less overall (HP to weight) . Going around corners fast you want your car balanced.
Ideally .... coilovers is the way to go if you want to attain a more balanced car. On my car every wheel gap is different.
I had to sit in the car for 2 hours while they adjusted and adjusted (with myself in drivers seat) until all 4 corners were the same weight.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have a 2014 GT 2.5 L with Tech package and i-eloop. I was able to find a battery that works at batteries plus. 2 years and no issues:

SLI35AGMDP X2Power Premium AGM BCI Group 35 Car and Truck Battery
X2Power Premium AGM BCI Group 35 Car and Truck Battery - SLI35AGMDP

$299.99
Core Deposit: $18.00 ?

Product Details
  • 60 Month Free Replacement Warranty
  • Designed to replace BCI group 35 batteries
  • Ideal for vehicles with multiple power demands
  • AGM Technology - non-spillable, non-gassing & maintenance-free
  • Commonly used in Mazda, Nissan and more

Specifications
  • Item Number: SLI35AGMDP
  • Brand: X2Power
  • Voltage: 12
  • Format: BCI Group 35
  • Lead Acid Type: Deep Cycle, Dual Purpose (Starting/Cycling), Starting
  • Capacity: 60AH
  • Cold Cranking Amps: 740
  • WARNING: Cancer and Reproductive Harm - www.P65Warnings.ca.gov
  • Battery Type: Ultimate
  • Capacity 20hr: 60AH
  • Chemistry: Lead Acid
  • Color: Blue Top
  • Cranking Amps: 880
  • Lead Acid Design: AGM
  • Made in the USA: True
  • Product Category: Auto/Light Truck
  • Product Sub Category: Premium AGM
  • Terminal Type: SAE, Automotive Post
  • Warranty: 60 Month Free Replacement
  • Weight: 45.6 lbs
  • Length: 9.45 in
  • Width: 6.59 in
  • Height: 8.54 in

·
Registered
2012 Mz3 Sky & 2016 Mz6
85 Posts
I have a 2014 GT 2.5 L with Tech package and i-eloop. I was able to find a battery that works at batteries plus. 2 years and no issues:
SLI35AGMDP X2Power Premium AGM BCI Group 35 Car and Truck Battery

$299.99
Core Deposit: $18.00 ?

Product Details
  • AGM Technology - non-spillable, non-gassing & maintenance-free
  • Weight: 45.6 lbs
That's a good classic AGM battery, but it's not saving any weight at 45.6lbs (for reference LifePo batteries are in the 5-15lbs range)

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Update after about two weeks:

It's been working just fine. Starter turns over very eagerly (cranks faster than OEM battery) every time I go to start it up.
I did a log of ECU voltage from a "cold" (8hr work day) startup:

This was in ~50F ambient temperature.
I'm very impressed at the minimal voltage drop (12.33V) when the starter is engaged. a lead acid battery may drop to 9-10V during cranking.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Update after about two weeks:

It's been working just fine. Starter turns over very eagerly (cranks faster than OEM battery) every time I go to start it up.
I did a log of ECU voltage from a "cold" (8hr work day) startup:
View attachment 281610
This was in ~50F ambient temperature.
I'm very impressed at the minimal voltage drop (12.33V) when the starter is engaged. a lead acid battery may drop to 9-10V during cranking.
Notice any improvement in your sound system?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Notice any improvement in your sound system?
maybe? nothing that can't also be explained by slightly warmer temps. would need to do controlled tests to be sure.
if i'm being generous, perhaps it's allowing a bit more clarity from the dash+door speakers while the sub is playing sustained notes at elevated volumes.
this wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility since the battery acts as a capacitor in some ways to compensate for any voltage drop from alternator delay.
i'm not getting significant voltage drop when the bass hits like this guy:

·
Registered
712 Posts
maybe? nothing that can't also be explained by slightly warmer temps. would need to do controlled tests to be sure.
if i'm being generous, perhaps it's allowing a bit more clarity from the dash+door speakers while the sub is playing sustained notes at elevated volumes.
this wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility since the battery acts as a capacitor in some ways to compensate for any voltage drop from alternator delay.
i'm not getting significant voltage drop when the bass hits like this guy:
More or less what I was hoping/expecting to hear. I went ahead and ordered one with a BMS board. I figure since I already have a 1000 Watt amp, 4 channel LOC, cam with parking, and wireless charger, it's a safe/smart long term investment. That and the weight reduction. Can you feel a difference in handling?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
cool, what battery are you getting?

Can you feel a difference in handling?
eh, nothing conclusive, though I haven't done anything too strenuous since installing it.
we're only removing ~0.5-1.0% of the vehicle's overall weight (depending on which battery you get, which 3 package you have, how fat your ass is) by switching to LFP. i don't think this is the type of weight loss that can be felt by anyone but serious auto x'ers or hpde peeps.
it is in a poor location (in front of drive axle, sitting up kinda high), so perhaps it counts more than if you just lost the weight.
Anecdotally, yesterday I took a sharp right turn (<90°) at speed and was a little surprised at how light the steering was.
perhaps the LFP battery also improves powered systems like power steering? this may be unlikely since the stock alt & battery should be providing sufficient power for this.

·
Registered
712 Posts
cool, what battery are you getting?

eh, nothing conclusive, though I haven't done anything too strenuous since installing it.
we're only removing ~0.5-1.0% of the vehicle's overall weight (depending on which battery you get, which 3 package you have, how fat your ass is) by switching to LFP. i don't think this is the type of weight loss that can be felt by anyone but serious auto x'ers or hpde peeps.
it is in a poor location (in front of drive axle, sitting up kinda high), so perhaps it counts more than if you just lost the weight.
Anecdotally, yesterday I took a sharp right turn (<90°) at speed and was a little surprised at how light the steering was.
perhaps the LFP battery also improves powered systems like power steering? this may be unlikely since the stock alt & battery should be providing sufficient power for this.
This one with BMS:

I figure it's those small changes that add up. Getting ready to shed 7 pounds per wheel soon too, so I'm thinking the 2 combined should tighten up steering. I'm all about incremental improvements. May look into Big 3 since that's such a core thing and that might help distribute the power more evenly and effortlessly.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
This one with BMS:

I figure it's those small changes that add up. Getting ready to shed 7 pounds per wheel soon too, so I'm thinking the 2 combined should tighten up steering. I'm all about incremental improvements. May look into Big 3 since that's such a core thing and that might help distribute the power more evenly and effortlessly.
Nice. looking forward to you sharing your impressions when you get the battery installed!

i've been playing around with a voltage drop calculator to see how much benefit there may be from doing a big3 upgrade:

so going from 4ga (what i think oem wiring is) to 1/0ga would gain 0.3V or about 30W at 100A. probably not a noticeable gain on a 1kw system tbh.

i shed ~15lbs per corner when i went from OEM 18" to 16x7 RPF1s and 225/55r16 tires. coupled with a tune on 91 and i can beat up my date pretty good lol

·
Registered
712 Posts
Nice. looking forward to you sharing your impressions when you get the battery installed!

i've been playing around with a voltage drop calculator to see how much benefit there may be from doing a big3 upgrade:
View attachment 281650 View attachment 281651
so going from 4ga (what i think oem wiring is) to 1/0ga would gain 0.3V or about 30W at 100A. probably not a noticeable gain on a 1kw system tbh.

i shed ~15lbs per corner when i went from OEM 18" to 16x7 RPF1s and 225/55r16 tires. coupled with a tune on 91 and i can beat up my date pretty good lol
Wow that's double what I'll shed, nice!

I'll let you know the results of the battery after it's installed. I was going to leave all the factory wires and just add the Flex 4 gauge. I wonder if upgrading only the factory ground might net you that 200mv.

·
Registered
712 Posts

View attachment 281650 View attachment 281651

Do you have a particular goal in mind with the electrical upgrades? I'm hoping to avoid a second battery or ultracap as I'm not keen on adding additional gear beyond the amp, LOC, and sub. I'm sure it's all at 125 pounds as it is with the sound deadening.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
Do you have a particular goal in mind with the electrical upgrades?
borg perfection

I'm hoping to avoid a second battery or ultracap as I'm not keen on adding additional gear beyond the amp, LOC, and sub. I'm sure it's all at 125 pounds as it is with the sound deadening.
well with the battery I was trying to get something that would last and have improved capacity for my dashcam. i was hesitant to get a group 35 AGM since they're heavier than oem and, like you, i've added too much weigh as is. then i considered a group 51R AGM, but it's "only" a few pounds less than oem with about the same capacity.

i was able to order my LFP battery direct from the factory at substantial discount to ebay/alibaba/amazon prices, and got to customize it as well. for only $390 shipped (about twice the price of a group 35 AGM). the higher cranking amps and usable capacity, about time to replace the oem battery anyway, and reduced weight made it a no-brainer.

now i'm trying to get the most out of the battery by removing any restrictions to vehicle performance and audio performance. and parly to assuage my boredom. everything works fine now. but if i wanted to leave everything stock, i'd have leased the thing

·
Registered
21 Posts
DD18,

What company/ exact battery did you end up getting? Looking through the posts, I may have missed it but I don't see the information. The battery in my car just died and I'm looking for a reliable, high capacity Lithium battery.

Thanks,
Dustin

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I ordered directly from a factory in china
i intentionally left out their info since this upgrade is something people should research the pros & cons of before jumping into and potentially exploding their car or having shorter than expected life.
you can find their stuff on ebay/amazon/alibaba, but i wouldn't recommend it in the listed form.
insist on a beefed up BMS (ideally with temperature control), and A123 ultraphosphate cells.
the main benefit of going directly to the factory is customization, and they can directly invoice you so you save on marketplace seller fees & taxes (i saved ~$100 this way)

·
Registered
21 Posts
OK I understand. Years ago I came close to having a coworker build and teach me to build a custom battery with top grade cells, but it died in the idea stage because he got laid off before it happened and we lost touch. He had some interesting hobbies including custom drone and DIY EV builds and I really wish I could have done it so that I could have learned about it.

Lol looking at the marketplaces, it's exactly how I was imagining...dozens of "brands" and it will take some work contacting them all...kudos to you for taking the time to do that but dang, there's just so much out there.

Is the battery serviceable in any way, for you to check and see if it has legit cells and the better BMS you asked them to use? Me and some of my friends experience with factories in China isn't good...usually involves them lying about 70% of everything they say. That being said...that was with other products/industries so hopefully that isn't the case with the company you found.

Thanks,
Dustin

·
Registered
712 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I dropped this battery in today, which was about as plug n'play as it gets connecting the factory leads. Arrived fully charged. Sound system seems modestly improved after a quick listen and it feels good having shed ~22 lbs under the hood. Off for a test drive.
nice! ok so maybe the sound improvement wasn't just in my head lol
eager to hear more of your thoughts over the next few days!
i'd also recommend improving the insulation on the stock battery sleeve if you haven't done so yet

·
Registered
2012 Mz3 Sky & 2016 Mz6
85 Posts
nice! ok so maybe the sound improvement wasn't just in my head lol
eager to hear more of your thoughts over the next few days!
i'd also recommend improving the insulation on the stock battery sleeve if you haven't done so yet
What's the goal/benefit of insulation around the battery?

21 - 40 of 58 Posts