2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Follow up to this thread: Anyone put a LiFePO4 battery in their car?

Custom ordered a battery from a manufacturer in china.
Requested a battery fitting the BCI Group 35 footprint so I could reuse the battery insulation sleeve.
Inside is 40Ah of A123 Ultraphosphate prismatic cells (8*20AH 3.3V cells - 4s2p configuration) .
The BMS can charge at a constant 50A, and discharge at a constant 200A.
950 CCA.
Weighs ~16 pounds (22 pounds less than OEM).
$390 shipped to my door.

Arrived charged to 13.3V. Swapped it into my car, replacing the almost 4yr old OEM battery.
Started up very quick, with 0 hesitation.
Hoping this is the last battery I'll have to buy for this car.

·
Registered
342 Posts

Here is my lithium battery, manufactured by local company in my country, i replace for 6 month ago... it very powerful, car start very quickly, headlight more brighter and stable, music sounding better....

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Why LiFePO4:

Doesn't suffer from peukert effect (usable capacity affected by discharge rate):

Delivers more of it's capacity even when cold:

High efficiency (>99%) rapid charging:

Longer life:

Minimal self-discharge:

Why A123 Ultraphosphate cells (vs cheaper LiFePO4 cells):

Gen3 LiFePo4 cell that has a wider operating temperature range (-30°C to 55°C ):

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5 non sky
682 Posts
Im planning on putting this one in April ... 4.5 lbs

Thats a 35 lbs drop ... Remove the spare , jack & other tools in the trunk minus another 40lbs (i do that only at autocross & track)

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Im planning on putting this one in April ... 4.5 lbs

Thats a 35 lbs drop ... Remove the spare , jack & other tools in the trunk minus another 40lbs (i do that only at autocross & track)
i don't think there's a better racing battery XD
but i'm dubious of shorai batteries for longetivity. they don't have a built-in BMS to manage charging or cell balancing, so they tend to last "only" as long as regular lead acid batteries (at least according to reports I find on the internet)
also, with all the modern electrical drains in cars these days (and if you have a dashcam with parking mode) 18Ah isn't a lot of leeway

·
Registered
682 Posts
i don't think there's a better racing battery XD
but i'm dubious of shorai batteries for longetivity. they don't have a built-in BMS to manage charging or cell balancing, so they tend to last "only" as long as regular lead acid batteries (at least according to reports I find on the internet)
also, with all the modern electrical drains in cars these days (and if you have a dashcam with parking mode) 18Ah isn't a lot of leeway
Yes ..i'll have to look into that longevity of Shorai .. I did pick this one up for half the price...
As a fall back i always travel with a TackLife T8 lithium car jump starter TACKLIFE T8 800A Peak 18000mAh Lithium Car Jump Starter for Up to 7.0L Gas or 5.5L Diesel Engine, 12V Auto Battery Booster with LCD Screen, Portable Power Bank with USB Quick Charge
I wonder if the T8 can start a car with out a battery ... i should test it when i swap in the Shorai.

Reactions: dd18

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
682 Posts
i have one of those as well! gooloo branded though. there are vids of these things starting up V8 engines, so i doubt they'll struggle with our little mazdas (which have 90-120A starter motors)
True
And the guy who sold be the Shorai had one starting a V8 jaguar

·
Registered
2012 Mz3 Sky & 2016 Mz6
85 Posts
I had been thinking about an AntiGravity ATX30-RS battery, because it has a BMS should last and 32AH should be sufficient (just don't sit parked blasting music for a long time)

·
Registered
682 Posts
I had been thinking about an AntiGravity ATX30-RS battery, because it has a BMS should last and 32AH should be sufficient (just don't sit parked blasting music for a long time)

Nice !!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
it's 32Ah in lead acid equivalent units (kinda meaningless due to the aforementioned peukert effect). the actual capacity is 16Ah 😉

and the lifetime may be significantly shorter since a major factor in battery life is depth-of-discharge. with a smaller capacity battery in modern cars, you may have deeper discharges between drives/after starts.

but it certainly might be a better buy than the shorai since it has a built-in smart BMS

·
Registered
2012 Mz3 Sky & 2016 Mz6
85 Posts
@dd18 the question is would 16AH actually be a problem, I mean I would make a point to not sit and listen to music etc. and this is my daily so it rarely sits undriven for more than a day or two.

They have the ATX30-HD that bumps the actual amp hours to 24, but it's $160 more... that's probably a safer way to go with 24ah

Reactions: dd18

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
i have been meaning to find out what the quiescent current draw of a gen3 mazda 3 is but it's just not a huge priority right now. the 16Ah battery would be fine for several years i think, just not as long as i would want from this kind of investment. i spent $390 on mine ($380 once i get my $10 for recycling my oem battery 🙃 ) and hope to get 8-10 worry-free years out of it to "break even" with lead acid batteries over time. however, the cost doesn't take into account the lower weight, improved fuel economy, and i honestly think my sound system sounds better now (the last two could be cause it's warmed up slightly here).

an important consideration is what your use case would be. i have a dual dashcam with parking mode, and 800W aftermarket sound system so i know i'll need extra capacity. if you don't have so many extras, you won't need as much capacity.

for my battery, i prioritized reliability over max weight loss and cheapest cost. so i requested the latest generation of LiFePO4 cells with better extreme temperature performance, more than OEM capacity, and a beefed up BMS that can handle higher constant amp output and prevent overcharging.

·
Registered
2012 Mz3 Sky & 2016 Mz6
85 Posts
the 16Ah battery would be fine for several years i think, just not as long as i would want from this kind of investment. i spent $390 on mine ($380 once i get my $10 for recycling my oem battery 🙃 ) and hope to get 8-10 worry-free years out of it to "break even" with lead acid batteries over time. however, the cost doesn't take into account the lower weight, improved fuel economy, and i honestly think my sound system sounds better now (the last two could be cause it's warmed up slightly here).

an important consideration is what your use case would be. i have a dual dashcam with parking mode, and 800W aftermarket sound system so i know i'll need extra capacity. if you don't have so many extras, you won't need as much capacity.

i have been meaning to find out what the quiescent current draw of a gen3 mazda 3 is but it's just not a huge priority right now
So the goal of my car is to be wicked fast (actually my '16 Mazda 6 in this case), I go to AutoX almost every month, and am preparing to supercarge my 2.5L... weight reduction is a high priority (part of the reason I am running the simple single exit exhaust was to minimize weight, I've also switched to Motegi Racing TrakLite wheels).

I hadn't really considered the shortening of battery life, even for LifePo, when discharging too deeply... I'm mostly excited about dropping ~30lbs, largely offsetting the weight addition of the supercharger and intercooler, so even if it only lasted 5 years I'd be dissapointed but worth the expirement at least

@joemwd are you running that Shorai ultra light battery? How is it? Is the lack of BMS a problem?

I should probably do this one for a little more AH, piece of mind

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I hadn't really considered the shortening of battery life, even for LifePo, when discharging too deeply... I'm mostly excited about dropping ~30lbs, largely offsetting the weight addition of the supercharger and intercooler, so even if it only lasted 5 years I'd be dissapointed but worth the expirement at least
since you're adding extra weight in an undesirable location (ahead of front wheels), then i agree, compensating by reducing weight from the battery will be very helpful in reducing dive under braking & maintaining steering lightness. since LiFePO4 doesn't offgas like SLA, you could even relocate the battery to the cabin or trunk for an even more dramatic difference. though you would need heavy wiring for the relocation

the peeps over at the miata forum have been dabbling with lightweight batteries as well, check it out: Programmable Search Engine
they don't seem to like shorai batteries, fyi @JoeMini

·
Registered
682 Posts
So the goal of my car is to be wicked fast (actually my '16 Mazda 6 in this case), I go to AutoX almost every month, and am preparing to supercarge my 2.5L... weight reduction is a high priority (part of the reason I am running the simple single exit exhaust was to minimize weight, I've also switched to Motegi Racing TrakLite wheels).

@joemwd are you running that Shorai ultra light battery? How is it? Is the lack of BMS a problem?

I should probably do this one for a little more AH, piece of mind
The battery is going in when the 2.0L is rebuilt ..probaly end of April.
The guy who sold me the battery has it in his daily drive.
I was recommended to get a Shorai battery charger if the car is not driven daily.
As a back up i always drive with my lithium battery booster.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts