2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! Just orderer Mazda 3 SP25 GT BN Hatchback 6sp 2.5L. Machine Grey, black 18's powder coated, tinting. A week till collection, first ever Mazda can't wait woohoo!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lol! Go Aussie ��

Yep always been a manual guy. Weird that the ratios and final drive are higher than the auto, hence the economy being actually lower than the auto. Interesting if that was a marketing vs engineering decision to push sales of the auto...

During the test drive I thought the clutch take-up point was a bit high, I wonder if that's adjustable on these cars.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Not adjustable.

Engine is fairly tight for first 10-15000. Don't baby it though. Use full rev range while bedding it in. Just don't sit at a constant rev for many many k's.

I've got 52k's on my BM and it still brings a smile when i need it to.

It behaves very well pottering around town, but it's very eager if you drop it a few cogs (as I said, above 3000, better 4000+) and floor it for an overtake or whatever.

BEWARE the thin paint !

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks Gerry!

I take delivery of the car next week, and here's my plans/thoughts, feedback very welcome!

Planning to keep the car 3-5 years, no major mods aside from the tinting and black powder coat on the wheels (I think!), just great tyres, oil and fuel.

- empty the first tank and then use BP Ultimate exclusively;

- change to Nulon/Mobil 1 and K&N Oil filter - should I just wait until the first service, is that the atypical 1500kms free service, and get them to use my oil and filter then? Is a K&N oil filter appreciably better than oem?

- I was going to put in a K&N air filter too, but reading here and there people tend to say it's mostly a placebo and waste of money in a non-turbo non-modified car.

-tyres. OEM Dunlops yuck. Always been a tyre guy and used Pilots in the past. Struggling to justify another $1K straight after buying the car, assuming the nearly new OEM tyres wouldn't be worth much on a trade. Thoughts?

- paint treatment. Of course the dealer's trying their best to convince me to drop $1200 on their receommeded "Perfexion" brand. I have a quote from Opticoat for Pro+ paint and interior leather for $1345 incloading loan car. Seems to be the way to go, assuming again that I couldn't achieve anywhere near the same at home with purchased products.

- car cover - any recommendations?

Many thanks!

·
Registered
468 Posts
Run the dunlops for a while. They are actually quite good. I just put on RE003's, which are very nice.

1500 check has no fluid changes. I changed the factory oil and filter myself at 4000.

K N filter does nothing.

98 fuel again does nothing.

Have fun
Paint protection..... If you have nothing better to do with your money.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts