2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I traded my 2012 Mazda3 for a 2015 this summer. I do a lot of highway driving. The 1st windy day I really noticed a difference in the two cars. The redesigned 3 (i touring) handles like crap in a strong gust. Is this because of the taller side-wall tires that came on it?

I had saved my old summer (Michelin Defender) and winter (Bridgestone Blizzak) tires, all 205/55 R16. The new tires is a 205/60 R16. The tire guy at Sam's Club was hesitant to put the 55's on. Other than a 3% change in speedo reading, what differences would I experience?

·
Aspiring Mad Scientist
1,716 Posts
Crosswind handling is a function of body shape and style, so no, the tire change isn't going to do much for you besides lowering the car some small amount. It would be interesting to see what the new body style needs (in CFD) to stabilize it.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Happen to go from a sedan to a hatch or vice versa?

These are tall, and very large side profile cars. The wind absolutely affects them.
I'm sure increasing ride height would affect it negatively (ei taller tires as you've gone to), as well as sloppy and soft sidewalls (as you've gone to).
But other than that.. it's a complaint I've heard for years.

Not much can be done, you got a tall car. Wind pushes tall cars around.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just got my 5 door and noticed the same issue - will a front tower brace help any? Or just live with it. Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts