2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all-

I'm in the Denver area and I live at about 5500ft above sea level. Due to the thin air (= less oxygen), there's probably a 15-20% power loss here compared to sea level for a naturally aspirated car. This explains why my old Corolla was fine in Florida, but could barely struggle uphill when I moved here.

My 2015 3sGT has plenty of power for all my needs, including trips into the mountains. It certainly doesn't struggle at all, but I wouldn't mind doing some very small mods to get back a few of those HP that I'm losing. What about the AEM drop-in dry filter? I read here that it was pretty good (about 7HP gain). Any other small mods that could help?

I love this car already, but I can only imagine how fun it is at sea level. Time to make a road trip back to Florida.
:wink2:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Native Coloradoan here and I would agree that there is a definite power loss. I've managed okay in my car but I definitely have to keep it in 4th a lot going out of Denver, and sometimes third. I've road tripped it to Dallas a few times and it's way faster down there than here.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, thanks for the tips. I didn't think there would be much difference with small mods, but it's good to hear from those who have tried. The OV tune sounds like it would be great, but I don't have the desire or the money to attempt it.

The 2.5 is still fine and doesn't struggle at all, even in the mountains, so I'll keep it as-is. Even with some power loss, the scenery here is worth it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I lived in CO for four years. A tune and a CAI really helped my JKU Rubicon when I lived there. It hated the passes and I had to put it in 4th and rev the piss out of it (4.10 gears) to keep up with traffic on the passes. After the tune and CAI, I could use 5th and keep up. It ran better too. My Ex's Sentra was dog slow there too. Both vehicles were immensely better at sea level.

Very different vehicles, but CO vs GA and then NC after was a huge difference. Even the 4.0l V6 in my Pro4X Xterra had a lot less power there than here in NC.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts