2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So who has one of these and how usefull is it?

Or does it get it in the way?

·
Registered
441 Posts
I've got one. Works well! Reminds me to duck my bald head so I don't hit it on the edge of the hatch cover. That edge is sharp & has cut my scalp more than once! I miss the retractable cover on my Subaru WRX wagon. :sad:

Had to cut part of the storage shelf out to fit on over my subwoofer enclosure:

The cargo shelf provides some nice storage spaces for smaller items. Only downside is if you have to reach under it to get something further back in the cargo area, but that's a very minor issue. Also, the cargo shelf covers up the light in the hatch area, but I wanted more light anyways & installed a strip of LED lights to fix that issue. See posts about adding the LED's in the Appearance & Interior forum (may have to go back to 2010-2013 years).

·
Registered
34 Posts
So who has one of these and how usefull is it?

Or does it get it in the way?

Did you ever end up buying it? I am also curious about its usability as well.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I'd go with a bag or box to hold gear. That setup just ends up reducing the width of anything you want to trow back there. Imagine buying something at the store only end up coming to your car and curse at that thing because you can't bring it home. I'm saying this as if someone is in the back seat. Which the door frameis only so wide. Hatches are awesome for wide cargo. It's like having a low profile SUV.

Question: do gen 3 trunk covers move up if the cargo being carried is too big when closing the hatch door? Our gen 2 hatch adapts to the size of the cargo items. We lose visibility out the back window mind you.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you ever end up buying it? I am also curious about its usability as well.
I did not get one. I just use a trunk organizer. After touching it at the dealership and loading/unloading golf clubs it would not be a good fit for me.

·
Registered
350 Posts
There is a nice rear seat organizer that I came across which was thirty bucks. It two seats wide which I was thinking about.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Imagine buying something at the store only end up coming to your car and curse at that thing because you can't bring it home. I'm saying this as if someone is in the back seat.
I had a similar shelf in my GTI. It was great to hold small tools and what not but when I needed to put something big in the trunk I needed to take it off just to fit it. then I needed to find a home for the shit inside the shelf, and the shelf. I got bored with it very quickly.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I had a similar shelf in my GTI. It was great to hold small tools and what not but when I needed to put something big in the trunk I needed to take it off just to fit it. then I needed to find a home for the shit inside the shelf, and the shelf. I got bored with it very quickly.
I figured that much. Some things are practical to some but impractical to others. They really have a good product to sell if it's practical to most if not all. Rubberized trunk mat inserts are genius. I sold my carpeted mats in the car and got all rubber mats. Year round practicality. The truck liner is just awesome to own when debrit falls back there.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I would like to get one. Looks convenient.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts