2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT called Coffee.
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... we all know that you guys are working on developing a turbo for our 2014+ Mazda 3s. I'm sure that many people on here, me included, are anxious for news on it. Could you please update us on how things are going?

I'm really excited to see what kind of HP and torque ranges it will be able to support for the 2.0L and 2.5L engines.
Thanks in advance.
CK

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
@[email protected]

Hi,

It's been over 8 months since you announced you were working on the turbo for our Gen 3's. Could you please bring us up to speed on where things stand? Do you think this project will make it to production?

There are a lot of 2014 to 2018 gen 3s out there that would benefit from this.
CK

Reactions: johnykalbo

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Hoon Apprentice
113 Posts
I personally am not optimistic. I wish that there was a cost effective way to modify those kits available for MX5's, given that the engines should be near identical (for the 2.0) other than engine orientation.

·
Registered
817 Posts
There are supercharger kits as well as turbo kits for the Miata SKY so they may be adaptable. It just makes more sense to do a kit for the 2.0 engine since it is more popular in every country. There are more 2.0's vs. 2.5 plus mazda has the turbo now for 2.5.

·
Super Moderator
5,355 Posts
Those kits could possibly be made to fit a Mazda 3, but the problem is there is little to no ECU support to actually make it work.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Hey Guys,

Sorry that its taken a bit to see this thread... For some reason I was not being notified of the posts. I will be checking manually to follow up until that gets resolved.

However, to answer the original question.

YES, the turbo project is still in progress and we still have very high hopes to bring it to market. We have made significant progress but there are lots of kinks to work out as you can imagine. The ultimate goal here is to make a kit that you guys can simply bolt on, and you can flash a tune and drive away. This takes a lot of time, and there are unknowns to figure out.

We're really only a year in on this, while multitasking many other projects. So, we ask people just hold tight. I know many will probably lose interest, and I can't hold that against them. But, I know many are excited to see what results.

In the mean time, the best way to ever hear about progress (If any) would be to email us. [email protected]

Thanks Guys,

[email protected]

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Brett.

That's really good news. I was worried that you guys had given up on it!

Please keep us posted as things develop.
CK

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Its no problem!

As difficult as a project like this is. We are stubborn and don't give up easily. We have a lot of faith on this project and we want to make it happen just as much as our customers do. Thank you all for hanging with us, and being apart of it.

We appreciate the feedback as well.

Feel free to bug me anytime you have questions. My email is open for everyone!

[email protected]

-Brett

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They have only confirmed that they are working on it and that they have fabricated some parts... This means that they don't have a working tune for the project. If they had a working tune, they would be showing us dyno logs and pics of products installed, which they are not doing...
CK

Reactions: MrBen

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Now that OV Tune is back offering tunes for the Mazda... All they need to do is call up Matt and setup a deal for them to handle the tuning for their parts now... They already have the parts mocked up...so hopefully they will fabricate some prototypes soon and have OVT handle the tuning for them. That way they can at least start posting up some results instead of a bunch of BS "Stay tuned..." posts.

Will they do it? Very unlikely... I mean why would they contact the only company capable, and possibly willing, of successfully tuning their highly anticipated and demanded product that they've been touting and working on for close to two years now?
CK

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Let's hope. It would be nice to make some Focus RS/ST owners eat our dust.

CS would be all set to upgrade the crap out of it too.

Would it be offered with a manual transmission though? That's my sticking point.

It could be called the M3 SGT. I'd still stick with my beloved Gen3 though.

She handles like a dream and I'm still on stock tires. Upgrading those will make an even bigger improvement.
CK

·
Super Moderator
5,355 Posts
Something from my local dealer-
In year or so the 2.0 SA-G motor will be phased out and replaced with the SA-X. The NA version of the 2.5 motor will be phased out in favor of the turbo 2.5 in all models.
Maybe.....:smile2:

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Something from my local dealer-
In year or so the 2.0 SA-G motor will be phased out and replaced with the SA-X. The NA version of the 2.5 motor will be phased out in favor of the turbo 2.5 in all models.
Maybe...../forums/images/Mazda3Revolution_2014/smilies/tango_face_smile.png
That's an exciting possibility...If that becomes reality, I bet we'll be seeing a lot more Mazdas on the road in the near future.

And in chatting with my salesman, Vince, people are keeping the Mazdas longer and not leasing them as much. They are happy with their purchases and with these cars and they keep them longer. They also have a VW dealership and they put all the used/leased VWs in the Mazda lot because they have so many lease returns from VW.

With happy owners and their positive reviews, more people will be ready to make the switch to Mazda. Adding the turbo and Skyactiv-x will just be the icing on the cake that hopefully sells everyone else.
CK

·
2017 | GT | 6MT
25 Posts
I may be a little dumb when it comes to this subject but isn't the EGT really high with high compression motors like ours?

And with the compression added from the additional air, wouldn't that mean we'd have to retard timing or risk knock? I know CS is full of proper smart folk but it'd be rad for them to explain to a pleb like myself what the challenges of this task are. I'm honestly really curious.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I may be a little dumb when it comes to this subject but isn't the EGT really high with high compression motors like ours?

And with the compression added from the additional air, wouldn't that mean we'd have to retard timing or risk knock? I know CS is full of proper smart folk but it'd be rad for them to explain to a pleb like myself what the challenges of this task are. I'm honestly really curious.
High compression does mean you are likely to be running closer to the edge of knock (pre-ignition), compared to a similar 4-cylinder of lower compression. This is dealt with by retarding ignition, increasing octane, or adjusting dynamic compression with variable valve timing. This is why having a spot on tune is incredibly important for this application. E85 (or some type of blend, maybe E40) becomes a lot more beneficial too. There's a compromise with static compression, because you could build a motor with lower compression, run 93 octane, and run a lot of boost successfully. But the car would feel a lot more sluggish out of boost. The high compression helps when the turbo is not spooled, and is only a minor detriment when in boost (plus is remedied by changing by dynamic compression with valve overlap). Another note that this high compression engine was already tuned/designed to be knock-free with 87 octane, so running 93 or E85 will give you more buffer room.

·
2017 | GT | 6MT
25 Posts

High compression does mean you are likely to be running closer to the edge of knock (pre-ignition), compared to a similar 4-cylinder of lower compression. This is dealt with by retarding ignition, increasing octane, or adjusting dynamic compression with variable valve timing. This is why having a spot on tune is incredibly important for this application. E85 (or some type of blend, maybe E40) becomes a lot more beneficial too. There's a compromise with static compression, because you could build a motor with lower compression, run 93 octane, and run a lot of boost successfully. But the car would feel a lot more sluggish out of boost. The high compression helps when the turbo is not spooled, and is only a minor detriment when in boost (plus is remedied by changing by dynamic compression with valve overlap). Another note that this high compression engine was already tuned/designed to be knock-free with 87 octane, so running 93 or E85 will give you more buffer room.
I honestly didn't even think about variable compression. My old car only had VVT on the intake cam but I never though in terms of compression changes due to the change in valve lift allowing more air to pass in to the cylinder altering the compression ratio. I'll have to read up on it to see how it's implemented and how far it's come! Seems pretty fascinating and really changes my mind on how these cars might react to boost.

I'm always sort of averse to retarding timing to stabilize since that sort of seems like a crutch but I'm also not an engineer or someone who tunes for a living, just someone who reads a lot of technical information all day.

Thanks for the excellent response! And if you could point me in the direction of some more in depth information on the design intents of the Skyactiv-G platform I'd love to dig in to it more to understand what this motor is doing so differently from everyone else. ?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts