2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wanting to build up my 2.0 skyactiv mazda 3 for a while now. I'm gunna start saving to do so. However I've noticed a trend in the lack of power and power adders for the skyactiv engine design. I would get a new car but I like the fun and comfort of the gen 3 as well as the design. I'd rather make it a project and eventual show car.
Bottom line instead of a new car, I'll get a new engine (and transmission). But for those with more expertise I'm curious, is a mazda speed engine or LS4 engine and transmission swap possible? And if so, how much of a hassle should I expect?

·
Too Many Projects!
368 Posts
First question:

Is your car paid off? Definitely don't want to try and engine swap a financed vehicle as it's gonna cost a lot more money and take a ton of time starting from scratch. As far as I'm aware, the only known swap for Mazda3's are the old 2.5 swaps.

Second question:

Do you have access to a garage? Tools? Doing a custom engine swap is going to require a lot of space to work.

Third question:

Is it worth it? Is it possible? It all depends on how much money you have to burn. But trust me, if you have to ask all of these questions you probably shouldn't take this project on.

If you're really serious about a fully custom swap, you should get with a reputable mechanic/fabricator and tell them your goals. Expect to spend a very hefty sum of cash, probably more than the vehicle is actually worth.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I had to take a break at need to save money and SHOW CAR.

The car is fun to drive but it will never be a big power car. Just make it your own and have fun with it.

If you want to make anything a show car start with something that will appreciate in value not something that anyone and their MOM can buy.
an example would be an old Rotary car, pre1978. or a Datson 510, BMW 2002.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
A miata is getting to that point. You can still find them cheap, but rebuilt and refreshed early years aren't cheap.

But you don't have to put in a big v8 either. You can simply rebuild the existing motor with a turbo and do really well at the track.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
An LS swap would be a pain as you are going from front wheel drive to rear wheel drive. Unless you can weld and fab it would be a BIG cost build. If you want more power I think an easy swap would be to put in a CX9 2.5 liter turbo engine. Probably drop right in and has 250hp on premium fuel. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm do have access to a garage, and I'm not easily deterred when it comes to a challenge. But I definitely wanted to make a truly unique mazda. And for the ls engine I was thinking an Ls4 (made with front wheel drive in mind). I'm trying to learn the other skills i need for any work needed for the engine bay, fabrication I'll get help on. But when it comes down to it. I want bring some more performance to the cars image, even if if ditching the skyactive engine. Still gunna try to get more details on a mazda speed engine as well.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Don't forget for a FWD LS swap you'd want an approx 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP, Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS, Chevrolet Impala SS or Buick Lacrosse Super.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,498 Posts
I'm still amazed that no one has swapped an engine from a Mazdaspeed into a Gen 3...

They have the built in turbo that already has some aftermarket support for upgrades and it should be pretty easy to pull off.

I'm guessing that it would only require some custom engine/transmission mounts and a custom hood for the RAM air.

Think about it... A gen 3 pulling 400-600 hp. Yeah, I'd be grinning ear-to-ear driving that...
CK

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,498 Posts
1. Get an old miata
2. put a rebuilt performance motor in it with the right options
3. pass a Viper
4. Grin ear to ear.
You just summed up my plans for the future... Once I don't have to drive my little ones around that is...

Edelbrock Supercharger or Flyin' Miata Stage II turbo... Slammed with a wide body kit... Yeah, I'm drooling just thinking about doing all the work on that car and taking it for a spin. Zoom-Zoom. >:)
CK

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm still waiting for Mazda to announce a new Mazdaspeed3 using the 2.5 Skyactiv Turbo from the CX9 and Mazda6.

Or for someone to swap that engine into a Mazda3

·
Hoon Apprentice
113 Posts
It'd still be a huge pain to be sure- but if you could 1.) get it to fit in the engine bay along with all other necessary electronics and reservoirs, bigger radiators/fans..etc. 2.) find a way to mount the powertrain (and get the transmission to hook up to the wheels, or drop in an entirely different axle) and lastly 3.) beef up the $h!7 out of the suspension to handle an engine over 2-3x as heavy as stock, then the Chevy Impalas' did offer a transverse LS v8 w/front wheel drive.

But, keep in mind, all these mods will likely transform the 3's handling from, well, a Mazda- to that of a charger or other front heavy lumbering muscle car. At that point, the car would really only be good as a drag car to be totally honest- not to mention the inherent reliability problems that will ensue from essentially jury-rigging things into the car that it was not meant for.

I really wish there was a way to increase power out of the Gen 3's :( Maybe one day, Mazda will pull their heads out of their :asshole: and start building Mazdaspeeds again

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,498 Posts
I'm still waiting for Mazda to announce a new Mazdaspeed3 using the 2.5 Skyactiv Turbo from the CX9 and Mazda6.

Or for someone to swap that engine into a Mazda3
Mazda could do it....I just don't think it would be profitable enough for the company though. If it was... we would still have a Mazdaspeed in production.
CK

·
Registered
510 Posts
if you're thinking drivetrain issues from FWD to RWD, it's not a problem with the transmission tunnel since the chassis is built to accomodate it for the AWD models sold in japan. the current issue i see if the position of the firewall itself and room for the gear box. i'd rather run it off AWD if you're looking at the 2.5T engines. with that said, the prices in AUD based on the quote i had was about 25,000AUD without labor. (depending on your mechanical level and your local minimum labor costs)

with that said, i think this chassis is more suited to AWD since the base is already there. the positions of the front strut towers and firewall doesn't seem to work with a RWD to push the engine beyond the strut line.. in regards to past gen MPS models, i have not look into them. but i don't think it'll be that hard of a work. maybe try to run a FMIC instead of a TMIC since someone brought out the custom hood..

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
if you're thinking drivetrain issues from FWD to RWD, it's not a problem with the transmission tunnel since the chassis is built to accomodate it for the AWD models sold in japan. the current issue i see if the position of the firewall itself and room for the gear box. i'd rather run it off AWD if you're looking at the 2.5T engines. with that said, the prices in AUD based on the quote i had was about 25,000AUD without labor. (depending on your mechanical level and your local minimum labor costs)

with that said, i think this chassis is more suited to AWD since the base is already there. the positions of the front strut towers and firewall doesn't seem to work with a RWD to push the engine beyond the strut line.. in regards to past gen MPS models, i have not look into them. but i don't think it'll be that hard of a work. maybe try to run a FMIC instead of a TMIC since someone brought out the custom hood..
AWD and RWD are very different in terms of space requirements.

But, this isn't something I'd do on a custom whim. I know the focus guys did it with a SVT Focus. But still it's not a project for the faint of heart.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm still amazed that no one has swapped an engine from a Mazdaspeed into a Gen 3...

They have the built in turbo that already has some aftermarket support for upgrades and it should be pretty easy to pull off.

I'm guessing that it would only require some custom engine/transmission mounts and a custom hood for the RAM air.

Think about it... A gen 3 pulling 400-600 hp. Yeah, I'd be grinning ear-to-ear driving that...
CK
That's exactly what my back up plan was. I'm still trying to figure out how much I'd have to work on compared to swapping with an LS4.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,498 Posts
Corksport sells rebuilt Mazdaspeed DIZI engines with all the fun stuff included. Upgraded turbos...fuel internals..etc.. $6K or $7.5K I think..
CK

This might be a nice kit to put together for CS...they could figure out some of the custom fab work and sell the necessary components to drop one of their rebuilt engines into a gen 3. It would create a lot of potential buyers for the engines too. Might be more successful and simpler than their turbo plans.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Corksport sells rebuilt Mazdaspeed DIZI engines with all the fun stuff included. Upgraded turbos...fuel internals..etc.. $6K or $7.5K I think..
CK

This might be a nice kit to put together for CS...they could figure out some of the custom fab work and sell the necessary components to drop one of their rebuilt engines into a gen 3. It would create a lot of potential buyers for the engines too. Might be more successful and simpler than their turbo plans.
The number of people willing to put 20k plus into a 25k car is very very small percentage of owners. If the Mazda3 was selling 100k units per month then the 1 percent or less population of owners that would do it might make sense.

The miata is different in the sense that it's already rwd and most people bought it for the reason of being fun so the percentage of buyers willing to spend a lot of cash is a lot higher. I would venture to guess that only 5-10 percent of mazda3 owners will actually put aftermarket items on their car. On the miata this would likely be double that. But because the 3 shares a lot of components with the Miata the R&D costs to make cross parts are almost nothing so people who make parts for one will make parts for the other.

1 - 19 of 20 Posts