2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today something weird happened when I was pumping gas at a station. When the pump stopped and I removed the nozzle gasoline was coming out of my tank from the top(filling hole?) and it wasn’t stopping so I put the cap on. After a few seconds I removed the cap again and the gasoline kept pouring out. I put the cap again, started the car and then removed the cap again to see what happen....still pouring out.
I screwed the cap and started driving to my house(1 mile), when I got there I turned the engine off and unscrew the cap. No more gasoline coming out but just a little bit of air.
When I got home and started googling I remembered that the pump nozzle was making an strange sound when filling but didn’t pay attention there.
What i think is that the nozzle sensor somehow malfunction(even if it stop by itself) but I’m not sure. I just wanted to know if anybody experienced something similar. I have a 2016 Mazda 3 with the 2.0 engine.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've never experienced anything that extreme, but when I first got the car, maybe on my second or third fill, I tried topping the tank after the auto shutoff. This is something I frequently did on my previous car (a Jetta). I was just about to stop putting fuel in when it started gushing out. Not for very long and not repeatedly (as in your case), but quite a bit. I had to wipe down the car and there was a fair sized puddle on the ground. I read later (probably here) that the third gen Mazda 3s don't like to be topped. Since then I stop fuelling as soon as the pump shuts off. A defective pump sensor seems like a good theory for what you describe.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
This was my second time filling the gas tank, the first one everything was ok.
I drove the car again today and everything is normal.
What I noticed is that the Mpg on the computer doesn’t match my math. I used 9.75 gallons since the last time I filled up and drive 292 miles, that equals 29.94 mpg but the computer average is 34. Any of you have notice any discrepancy from the computer and real driving+gas usage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts