2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd say about half the times I've filled up on gas for my '13 Mazda 3 hatchback, when the gas shut-off engages, it burps up gas. Sometimes it's just a little that goes over the rim, but sometimes it spills over quite a bit onto the car's finish which of course is not good to have gasoline running down the side. I don't ever top it off, I don't think it's worth it. I thought that maybe I had bad luck, but the last two cars I had (another Mazda 3 and a Jeep Wrangler) I never remember it happening. Has anyone else experienced this?

·
DIY PRO
1,036 Posts
try filling up slower so the air has a chance to escape.
Filling up at a high rate will cause a lot of disturbance and actually not allow you to fill the tank completely. If the pump as a self fill option on the handle set it at the lowest/slowest fill rate.
o, yea. Don't TOP OFF.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I have a 2010 GT sport and this is the one thing that really pisses me off about this car. After the first click off when filling if I want to take the time to screw with it, I can pump at least a gallon and more like two gallons before the tank is really full. Other than this one complaint I am perfectly happy with the car it has given me nothing else to complain about.

Pat.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well today I filled up again, and near the end I stopped the gas flow down to below the weakest auto-pump notch and it still burped up enough to spill gas on the car. It must not have sufficient space for gas to escape fast enough.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Well today I filled up again, and near the end I stopped the gas flow down to below the weakest auto-pump notch and it still burped up enough to spill gas on the car. It must not have sufficient space for gas to escape fast enough.
This happened to my 2010 iSport a little ways back. I noticed it only happened when it was cold. Could be a valve issue on the evap gas valve / hoses down there near the passenger camber arm. Can't say for sure but I know fueling up after i broke mine was a tricky ordeal prior to replacing it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My son's Mazda 3 2016 has done this twice. It shuts off when he is trying to fill it. And when he manages to fill the tank, after the pump shuts off, he hangs up the nozzle to turn around and see gas inching it's way up and over the side of his car. We took it to the dealer who said spider webs, which sounds stupid. He said if it happens again to bring it in and he will take it apart to find the cause. Making an appointment now. Will keep you posted.

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
my2011 mazda 3 would do this as well and so does my current 2011 xterra (but it has the opposite issue where it stops before full but only every now and again no pattern which leads me to think its the pumps I am using and oddly it seems to be a few pumps at one aprticlar chain named QT down here I notice it less at other stations such as shell or Valero), it may not be the car it maybe the pumps. the way these systems work is the pump has a tiny little hole in the end of the nozzle it sucks the air that is let out of the tank while filling into a small diaphragm in the nozzle when it sucks gas it causes a shut off because gas is denser than air and this triggers the shut off (second link below explains well) , this hole is how the pumps know when to stop and is a safety feature for overfill. these systems require both car and pump to work correctly as they work with very small amounts of pressure and being off just a hair will mess them up. so think about this, a gas pump is used most likely hundreds of times a day especially at busy stations the system in your car is only used when filling up occasionally and only ahs a few people doing anything to it, where as the gas pump system has many many people doing all kinds of things like dropping the nozzle, forcing more gas into a full tank etc and how often do you see stations service their pumps? not very. many in the xterra world have this same issue and after further research it seems many car forums have this question as if it is a car defect or issue when it appears much more likely a pump issue.

My xterra the only pattern I see is certain pumps at certain locations and since I use QT gas the most (as I feel they have better supply chain control than mr whatever kwik mart with a gas station) I think I just notice the few pumps with issues at the stations I visit with them more than the others since I use them infrequently and since it cause me no drivability, or check engine light problems and the truck gets better than rated fuel economy for me (mostly highway) I just say its the pumps unless my ecu decides to say otherwise, but you will throw a light for bad charcoal canister or one with a leak (it collects the fuel vapors when pumping or when its hot out so it doesn't just build pressure and burst the tank or vent to the air illegally) you will throw a code for bad evap solenoids, pumps and leaks
I you don't have a check engine light or any stored codes it is most likely not anything wrong with the car as malfunctioning evap and fuel vapor collection systems are deemed emission control apparatuses and would throw a code for most things that fail, a bad gas pump would not though

these should help explain

AGCO Automotive Repair Service - Baton Rouge, LA - Detailed Auto Topics - Why The Gas Nozzle Keeps Clicking Off

https://youtu.be/TFKOD3KRkZs

1 - 8 of 8 Posts