2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not sure if this has been posted before, but I love this little mod so I thought I'd share. I soldered two wires to the connections on my garage door opener (you can see how if you search the web) and then connected them to a momentary switch installed in the center cup holder in the console. Below are some pics of what I did:

Opener in a little box after soldering wires
[/IMG]

Box with wires on the outside

Shot of the box (it is velcroed to the carpet under the passenger seat)

Wires soldered to the momentary switch attached to the center console cupholder

Shot of the momentary button as installed in the car

Bag for momentary switch purchased from Radio Shack

That's it. Easy install, works great and the remote is out of the way!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
the wood might restrict the signal from the remote, there is lots of room under the cup-holder insert in the centre console. I'd just stow it in there, sans wooden box.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I just clip the opener to my sun visor...out of the way and no mods needed.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I think its pretty cool. Good job...

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I'm not saying this mod isn't "cool", I just think modding a car for the sake of modding isn't my thing! It seems like a waste of time to have a trick button with a garage door opener in some special box hidden in the car is pointless except to say that you did something wild!

I personally like mods that have a purpose! I say the garage door opener on the visor is a tried and true method and don't fix it if it ain't broken!

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
I think this is a very cool mod. Every bit as cool as led's in the trunk or cupholders. I wish I could do it. I don't like the way my visor is dented from the remote control clip. Unfortunately my remote needs to be on the visor or the door doesn't get the signal. On my other cars I used to leave it in the armrest, but no not one this one.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Personnaly I remove the ashtray from the central console (1st gen), just put my remote in it and close it. So when I'm driving or when I let my car somewhere, remote is invisible, just have to open/close the tray when I come/leave my house.
I thought it was possible to have remote switch on the mirror, am I wrong? If I'm not, what do you think of this solution, how much is it, and why did/didn't you purchase it?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I removed the metal clip from my remote and added a strip of velcro to the back of it... Then attached it inside the little sunglass holder door up in the roof. Close the sunglass door and it's hidden from the world. Easily removable with the velcro. Seems to have a good range this way too.

One of these days I might get the $220 rearview mirror with homelink, but for now this works fine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well...to those who like, thanks! To those that do not, you are certainly entitled to your opinion!! Personally, I don't like having the remote clipped to the visor or taking up space in the cubbie. The wooden box is just my way to protect the remote under the seat (it does not affect the perfomance of my opener). Just a simple little project that, to me, is both useful and cool.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I think this is pretty cool for another reason. Police tell you to hide your garage door opener b/c crooks can steal it and use it to break into homes, including your own. It was happening around here a lot about a year ago. I quit keeping mine on the visor at that time.

So, for me, it doesn't look like a "mod for the sake of a mod." It's a pretty cool solution to a concern I have. Nice Robstoy!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I don't have a garage, but I do have the rear view mirror with the homelink, and the autodimmer feature is fantastic.. It's the first time I've used such a thing, and I love it. I would highly recommend it to anybody, specially if you have a garage to open.

The compass is kinda ugly, though, it looks like from a car from the 90's.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Just tried the sunglass holder idea. Good lord, the remote works from twice the range now. Must be that the visor angles it down and the sunglass holder angles it up. Thanks Velocity.

·
1,272 Posts
Police tell you to hide your garage door opener b/c crooks can steal it and use it to break into homes, including your own.
You also need to not leave out a portable GPS unit if you have one (or don't program your house address into it). There was a story in the local paper last year about a family that went to a high school football game and when they came out at the end, their car was gone. To make matters worse, when they got home their garage door was open and their house was ransacked. Apparently the thieves stole the car, clicked "go home" on the GPS, and then used the garage door opened to gain access to the house. How much would that suck?

Back on topic, I took the metal clip off of my opener and I leave it in the little slot by my left knee.Works good enough for me until I get the Homelink Mirror.

Does anyone have a good solution to EZ-Pass? I drive the turnpike everyday, and it is kind of annoying holding up that transponder every time I get on/off. The thing is sooo ugly and goofy looking, there is no way I'm going to leave it on my windshield permanently...

·
Registered
34 Posts
When I bought the car, my dealer gave me a ez-pass holder, which "glues" to the glass with just a suction cup. Its kind of ugly, but I put it behind the rearview mirror, so its hardly noticiable. He actually gave me two, because of the card for the parking lot, and the viewmirror hides them well enough it doesn't bother me.

It looks kind of like this one: Graphic Ice: E-z Pal Electronic Toll Pass Holder .

·
Registered
100 Posts
garage door opener mod resurrected

found inspiration in this old thread. quick, slick mod. keepin it clean. had to do it myself. took pics of my progress but not worth starting a new thread for. for the LiftMaster remote the terminals of the switch show 3 volts at rest and drops to zero when pressed. used a programming/valet switch i didn't need from an alarm/remote starter install. removed some material from the remote case to feed the wires through and used velcro to attach to the bottom top of the dash above the radio. fished the wires over the top of the steering column. disassembled the DSC panel to make sure i wasn't drilling into anything important. reception is great and no indentation in my visor. not to mention it kept me out of trouble for about an hour. thanks ROBSTOY.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts