2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Warning: this post is for people that want to buy 'CHEAP' wheels; not Volks, not BMW or Porsche take offs. This is for the budget minded guy that wants to personalize their ride. Please don't come over here and bash cheap rims or tell people about your $3k wheel "investment". I doubt this clientele wants to hear about that (I certainly don't). I can't imagine that this info is already posted, but if it is, my apologies.

I found some awesome looking wheels on craigslist, but I couldn't find anything out about the manufacturer.

This had me concerned about the safety and reliability of the wheels. An internet search yielded only a few results, mostly unanswered questions on auto forums asking the same thing I wanted to know. I did a little digging, and this is what I found:

A guy named Mike H. sells rims branded "Kudo" and "Effect" on Craigslist and eBay (seller 'lotofwheel'). His ebay seller account has been in operation since 2006, and he has 98% positive feedback with a seller rating of nearly 1000. The reviews, and the one account I can find of someone buying the wheels are positive, citing the low price and good quality of the finish.

He operates out of a warehouse in an industrial area and sells wheels he imports from China. The manufacturer of these wheels is (likely) Zhejiang Yueling hub manufacturing. They started manufacturing motorcycle wheels in 1982 and expanded to automotive wheels in 1998. They are supposedly ISO 9001 certified yaddah yaddah and sell wheels all over the world. This might be true, but I had never heard of them before.

These wheels are likely gravity cast aluminum, which would account for the low prices and relatively high weight. This is also why many of the colors and designs aren't available from other clone-type manufacturers (Drag, Koni, Ultra, etc.).

Another source I read claims there are only a handful of places in the world that actually cast aluminum for wheels (versus forging). I also read that many OEM wheels are cast aluminum in order to keep the prices down.

Based on this information, I think I'm going to buy the wheels I like. At $380 a set (no tax) I imagine they will be sufficient for my needs. Every other car part is made in China these days anyways, so I can't see how it's going to hurt anything.

If I buy these wheels I will be sure to update this post with my experience...unless I put them on my car and it spontaneously combusts or the wheels separate and I die in a horriffic crash. Either way, at least someone else contemplating my questions might find some answers.

Good luck!

·
Registered
213 Posts
They have nice designs!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I went and got the rims. The guy operates out of a warehouse, and the front is set up as a showroom of sorts. The wheels were boxed nicely and the finish has a "one year warranty".

I took them to a local shop who was able to mount and balance my new tires without issue. They didn't scratch or chip the rims, and they balanced no problem. I had to use different lug nuts I bought from the wheel guy for $35.

Reactions: v swag

·
Registered
108 Posts
i'm all for cheap wheels and all, hell i've bought my fair share every now and then, but man, i just dont think those look good at all. not just the wheels themselves, but that combination with your car, color, style, etc. ( i dont knock on "hey you need to lower it", although you do, but that comment is too common and already given)

that being said, although i think those look bad, i commend you for being a guinea pig, and trying something most people wouldnt do or have the balls to post. If they had a more tasteful selection or wheels, i would understand trying cheap wheels, but..... to each their own, and it's your car. if you feel like you got a good deal in the looks dept for your $, then more power to you.

Thanks for the well written post though.

·
MAAAAzda
868 Posts
Very good read, Nick. Interested to see how they hold up. I wanna see if those wheels can handle a pothole, just out of curiosity as well. Can't see myself ever getting a set but someone else may, so thanks for all the research.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
324 Posts
Personally I think they look terrible and would rather spend my money on MS3 wheels for $400 that I know the quality on versus some random no-name potentially questionable wheels.

And you don't have to spend $2k+ on wheels to get 'good' ones. You can pick up RPF1's for relatively cheap without any issues.

·
Celest Zoom-Zoom
4,919 Posts
I think the color combo is awkward but the rims themselves don't have a bad style.

Cheap rims? I got mine from sears. I paid 525 out the door with mounting and balancing. I've had these on a previous car for 2 years with no issues.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
437 Posts
I went and got the rims. The guy operates out of a warehouse, and the front is set up as a showroom of sorts. The wheels were boxed nicely and the finish has a "one year warranty".

I took them to a local shop who was able to mount and balance my new tires without issue. They didn't scratch or chip the rims, and they balanced no problem. I had to use different lug nuts I bought from the wheel guy for $35.

thanks for the write up!! I had been wondering about these myself since i too have a blue/graphite 3. thought i was the only one with blue mirror caps too haha. i think it looks good. maybe if you add some more blue accents to tie the wheels in. hope they hold up well for you.

Reactions: Nick5811

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
i'm all for cheap wheels and all, hell i've bought my fair share every now and then, but man, i just dont think those look good at all. not just the wheels themselves, but that combination with your car, color, style, etc.
Personally I think they look terrible and would rather spend my money on MS3 wheels for $400 that I know the quality on versus some random no-name potentially questionable wheels.
I'm sorry to hear you guys don't like them. I had my doubts at first too. I was concerned the colors wouldn't match or it would look too ricey. The blue on the wheels looks darker, almost purple in some lighting, but in direct sunlight it's VERY close to the Sky Blue caps. I appreciate your honest feedback.

On the MS3 wheels; I have spent DAYS of my life devoted to searching for the right rims for a particular car. I looked all over for this car, and the popular rims these days are VERY similar, and only available in black, or gunmetal (boring). These are most decidedly different, and that's precisely why I had to buy them in this fashion from this seller. If American Racing or Ultra offered these wheels I'd have bought them from them instead, believe me.

expotato264033 said:
I commend you for being a guinea pig, and trying something most people wouldnt do or have the balls to post. If they had a more tasteful selection or wheels, i would understand trying cheap wheels, but..... to each their own, and it's your car. if you feel like you got a good deal in the looks dept for your $, then more power to you. Thanks for the well written post though.
Thanks. I was hoping to help other people who had the worries and questions I had.

Very good read, Nick. Interested to see how they hold up. I wanna see if those wheels can handle a pothole, just out of curiosity as well. Can't see myself ever getting a set but someone else may, so thanks for all the research.
I'm curious (worried) about hitting potholes too. I usually do my best to avoid hitting road hazards and potholes, so I've never *knock on wood* had the experience of bending or cracking a rim. This is the lowest profile tire I've had in quite some time (last time I had 45 series was on a set of 275/20's on my lowered pickup). I will for sure update if I break all the wheels running over a bridge joist.

thanks for the write up!! I had been wondering about these myself since i too have a blue/graphite 3. thought i was the only one with blue mirror caps too haha. i think it looks good. maybe if you add some more blue accents to tie the wheels in. hope they hold up well for you.
HA! I thought I was the only one to try something like that too! I just finally got the second mirror cap in from the dealership so now it makes a little more sense. Before I got the wheels I was contemplating the sky blue side skirts and a sky blue skyactiv spoiler. I photoshopped that on my ipad to check it out and I thought it looked good, though "ricey":

If funding permits I may still go for it, especially the side skirts. Unfortunately that's about $900 at dealership prices which is a lot of money for me. Pictures of your car...?

·
Registered
437 Posts
I actually painted all my stuff myself cuz i was too broke to buy the factory painted parts. haha. heres the most recent pic of my car, complete with instagram filter haha. ive also thought about painting the spoiler blue but i have constant battles with myself whether it will look good or not. also heres a pic of what i did with my wheels since im too broke for real rims. ignore the dirt

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
um............ i'm gonna bite my tongue on this one.... but again, to each his own. gotta respect the "Stand out" features...

·
Celest Zoom-Zoom
4,919 Posts
I actually painted all my stuff myself cuz i was too broke to buy the factory painted parts. haha. heres the most recent pic of my car, complete with instagram filter haha. ive also thought about painting the spoiler blue but i have constant battles with myself whether it will look good or not. also heres a pic of what i did with my wheels since im too broke for real rims. ignore the dirt
Here's my opinion. I know this isn't the OP's car buy just saying what I think so he has opinions on what to do to his car.
Lug nuts and center caps look good. Headlight not bad. Although at night wouldn't the light be blue which is beyond illegal? Mirrors look bad to me. Maybe a small blue accent on them instead of the entire mirror blue. I see small things that should be done to tie it all together. First off paint the calipers blue. Next it needs some sort of blue on the body. Stickers or decals would work.
I do like the how different it is. It's your car so as long as your happy with it then that's all that matters.

Finally clean your dam car man. :p

·
Registered
437 Posts
Here's my opinion. I know this isn't the OP's car buy just saying what I think so he has opinions on what to do to his car.
Lug nuts and center caps look good. Headlight not bad. Although at night wouldn't the light be blue which is beyond illegal? Mirrors look bad to me. Maybe a small blue accent on them instead of the entire mirror blue. I see small things that should be done to tie it all together. First off paint the calipers blue. Next it needs some sort of blue on the body. Stickers or decals would work.
I do like the how different it is. It's your car so as long as your happy with it then that's all that matters.

Finally clean your dam car man. :p

Yeah I respect everyone's opinions. They don't hurt my feelings haha. Some people like their car to be low key, I decided I wanted to stand out more. As far as the blue light, no it doesn't shine blue because its projectors, the high beams have a slight blue tint to them but its no different than maybe a 6000k hid. I even had an officer check the legality when I got pulled over for speeding once and he said it was good.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Does these brand have a website ? I'm actually looking into getting some cheap rims as well. Friend(mechanic) had these brand on his WRX for over a year. He says its cheap shit but it works and hasn't given him a problem yet.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any quality updates?

Do you have an opinion on the quality yet? I want to get some Effect Wheels on my MX-5 if they seem to hold up for strength and finish. Thanks for your review.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts