2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, thought I'd get some advice from other Mazda enthusiasts. I've decided this is the year that I purchase my dream car. I've been a Mazda fan since I was born. I've owned a '92 Protege, '97 Protege, and 2002 Protege5. My family has also owned the 323, and 626. I've had my eye on the Speed line since the Mazdaspeed Protege when I was in college.

When I purchased my used 2002 Protege5 back in Sept. 06 I conceded that the Speed6 was outside of my budget. Since then I've been working and saving up for my dream car. I believe this is the year I buy my first new car. And this is where I turn to you.

I'm trying to decide which model Speed3 I'm a bigger fan of. The '09 has a clean, simple, design which I've always really loved. The '10 seems slightly more agressive, but all of the lines make the car seem a little busy. Same for the interior. On the other hand, the '10 is likely to offer additional options not available on the '09. I might be asking a biased group which model they enjoy more, but I thought you guys would know best. I'm also thinking if I wait until the '10s drop later this summer I'll be able to secure a better deal on the existing model. Performance wise I'm guessing the ride might be slightly more refined in the '10, but I'm guessing nothing significant.

I've also been considering the '09 Subaru Impreza WRX. The only advantage it seems to have though AWD. Here in Texas that isn't so important. From what I've read, the 3 is more fun to drive anyway.

But enough chatter. Lay it on me guys. Am I an idiot not to wait for the '10? Or is the '09 something I can purchase in confidence now?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Hi welcome to the site! 1 difference between the '09 and '10 version that I know of is that on the '10 they wont be offering a grand touring trim. The difference between the 2 trims is the grand touring has rain-sensing windshield wipers and automatic on/off HID headlights. So I guess if you didnt really care for those, I would go for the '10(plus has a hoodscoop, bluetooth, optional keyless entry and push button start)

·
Registered
476 Posts

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
id say go with the 2010, you'd be the first speed 3 owner with the 2010 and also it has a better transmission then the 09

·
Registered
452 Posts
Welcome, I agree with axela go for the 2010. We're all happy with our 1st gen but reading comments from happy 2010 owners you won't hesitate long.

Improvments aren't really big but the sums of all make the 2010 2 or 3 steps better then 1st gen.

Go for a test drive, even if it's not a speed3 you'll understand.

I would only consider the '09 if there is a (really) big difference in the price

·
Registered
13 Posts
Likewise, I'm new to the forums and greatly appreciate all the users. I'm impressed by this group.

I'm looking at a new '10 and drove the Speed 09. Like Seinfeld said about silk boxers. A little too delightful.

The big difference to me is the internal bluetooth integration and nav system and the overall cleaner look of the new car. I just didn't like the 09 interior that much.

I'm all about the 20 5 door Grand Touring, Gun Metal Blue with the 2 big packages. But the $25K+ pricing (and almost apathetic dealers to negotiating) makes me a little disappointed. If I wanted arrogance, I'd go to a Mercedes Dealership. ;)

How is the sound? I've had Bose AM5's for many years and a Bose Wave CD Radio, but I'm not sure I'm that excited in general about Bose tuners, etc. How is the bluetooth?

With the deals on 09's it seems like a $3K adder for the '10 at least. It gives me pause.

Thanks everybody, looking forward to contributing and getting to know ya.

-Mike

·
Registered
452 Posts
How is the sound? I've had Bose AM5's for many years and a Bose Wave CD Radio, but I'm not sure I'm that excited in general about Bose tuners, etc. How is the bluetooth?
Sorry but I can't help here as the 2010 3 launch is schedule on 6th june in my country :argh 1:

With the deals on 09's it seems like a $3K adder for the '10 at least. It gives me pause.
Sounds not attractive to me, would go for the 2010 unless you had to add $5k for it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I saw the '09 Mazda 3 5 door Hatch fully loaded ($25,5K) and if I could get that or $5K off, I'd really have a decision. But they want $500 over invoice here right now at a minimum. I want the car, but I struggle at paying list price + all the dealer markups (Destination Charges, etc) that will make this car a $27K car out the door.

·
Registered
318 Posts
yea im pretty sure there is going to be a slight price jump in the 2010 but no one really knows yet due to the dealers have the price set at $0.00 in the computers. also it depends on what color you want. in 2010 they arent offering true red or pearl white or metro gray. if u want more details on colors offered let me know and i'll find the complete list for ya.

nowwwwwwww as for the motor they are still using the 2.3 with the same power output so dont think the 2010 will offer more power. not sure how the ecu will be on this car because if your looking for more power you wont get it from this car. that is one downfall about this car in general you cannot get more than 325whp and be safe kinda sucks. so my suggestion is go for the 2009 or 2008.5. there'll be dirt cheap especially when the 2010's hit the lot

1 - 10 of 10 Posts