2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How do you change these fuses? I have an open terminal and I'd like to use it for my upcoming audio system upgrade, but 50A is not sufficient. I need to change that fuse. Is that possible? I haven't found anything yet about changing those, and poking around in there did not reveal an easy way to remove what's there.

Thanks.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I don't know if I would mess with that. Couldn't you just run a separate line straight to the battery terminal with its own inline fuse? Preferably a line of sufficient gauge.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am planning to do that. I have a 4ga line with an inline fuse. But that unused terminal would be so 1) convenient, and 2) elegant.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The one I'm talking about is the rightmost one in the first pic. The second pic shows the empty terminal I'd like to use.

Can anyone help here? Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am planning to do that. I have a 4ga line with an inline fuse. But that unused terminal would be so 1) convenient, and 2) elegant.
Running the car audio's own power line with its own fuse would be a lot less problematic. I see where you're coming from though about it being a more elegant install, but doesn't the battery box cover it up anyways, or does it not have one?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, it would cover it up except for the right-angle bend. Either I find a way to bend the 4ga power connector 90 degrees or it sticks out toward the front of the vehicle and I have to cut the cover to let that wire out. The line I'm using does have its own fuse. But I need that 50A fuse to be 100A (or at least 80).

Is this not possible?

BTW, here is the 4ga power wire/connector I have. It doesn't look like a 90 degree bend is possible.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
I faced the same problem and ended up deciding it wasn't a good idea to connect to the extra fuse. I used a simple metal bracket, bolted it under the main fuse holder on the positive terminal, and bent it up and around the plastic. Only minor modification to the plastic shielding was necessary in order for it to lay flush. This let me connect my 4ga power wire directly to the positive terminal, with a 100A inline fuse ~8" away.

I can take a picture of it a bit later today if you would like.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts