2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What valve did you guys choose? I see that there are ones with long nipple which might hit the pan

Also, how has it hold up? Has it leaked? :shaun:

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I went with short nipple on both cars. Long enough to attach the hose so no need for the long fumoto end. The one in the TT was just put in but I have had the one in the 3 for almost 2 years. I've had them on other cars and have never had an issue thus far.

·
Registered
578 Posts
What valve did you guys choose? I see that there are ones with long nipple which might hit the pan

Also, how has it hold up? Has it leaked? :shaun:
Yeah get the one with the short nipple and extender since the pan is recessed. The one you want is the F106S.

Reactions: mzd

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went with short nipple on both cars. Long enough to attach the hose so no need for the long fumoto end. The one in the TT was just put in but I have had the one in the 3 for almost 2 years. I've had them on other cars and have never had an issue thus far.
Yeah get the one with the short nipple and extender since the pan is recessed. The one you want is the F106S.
How long does it usually take to drain? Have you had to replace the crushwasher?

·
Registered
578 Posts
How long does it usually take to drain? Have you had to replace the crushwasher?
When they ship you the valve and all its contents, they'll give you another washer made to be used with the valve, its made of some kind of material that feels like paper but it isn't paper, I got mine during Novmeber of '14 (Holiday pack $35). Since the valve has a smaller opening it takes longer to drain the oil. It makes changing oil really easy since you can just attach the hose, place the hose into a container, turn the valve, and not be covered in splattered oil. The valves are made of brass so it shouldn't rust, they're made in Japan if that means anything to you too haha.

Some people say that these valves stops the flow of sediments from coming out of the oil pan since the opening is smaller but honestly Idk about that. Some talk about rust but again its made of brass. Some people say the lever sometimes breaks off, doesn't lock properly and oil leaks, or its too hard to turn, etc. There's a lot of talk about these kind of oil changing valves and the feelings are mixed, love them or hate them. I like it since it makes oil changing a snap and plus it doesn't leave a big mess afterwards. I haven't any problems with it either since I got it November of '14.

Edit: Also some of the forum members actually run these Fumoto Valves on their cars. And I do believe in the DIY Oil Change Guide for the 2.0L cars they talk about the valve for several pages.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When they ship you the valve and all its contents, they'll give you another washer made to be used with the valve, its made of some kind of material that feels like paper but it isn't paper, I got mine during Novmeber of '14 (Holiday pack $35). Since the valve has a smaller opening it takes longer to drain the oil. It makes changing oil really easy since you can just attach the hose, place the hose into a container, turn the valve, and not be covered in splattered oil. The valves are made of brass so it shouldn't rust, they're made in Japan if that means anything to you too haha.

Some people say that these valves stops the flow of sediments from coming out of the oil pan since the opening is smaller but honestly Idk about that. Some talk about rust but again its made of brass. Some people say the lever sometimes breaks off, doesn't lock properly and oil leaks, or its too hard to turn, etc. There's a lot of talk about these kind of oil changing valves and the feelings are mixed, love them or hate them. I like it since it makes oil changing a snap and plus it doesn't leave a big mess afterwards. I haven't any problems with it either since I got it November of '14.

Edit: Also some of the forum members actually run these Fumoto Valves on their cars. And I do believe in the DIY Oil Change Guide for the 2.0L cars they talk about the valve for several pages.
Thanks

I'm a little hesitant to get them b/c I never used them before.

As for the mess it is unavoidable to me as I change oil filter every OCI

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Why? The link you posted shows op concerned with incomplete drainage with the fumoto and then 5 pages of responses from people telling him his concerns aren't warranted.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There is a guy on page 4 that had his pan sludged because of the oil left over.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I had a fumoto valve on my last car for about 8 years and never had a problem. I will do it again with the new mazda 3, for sure.

·
Registered
723 Posts
This thread's a little old but it's a slow day for me. I use the Fumoto valve on my vehicles because of all the stated convenience.

In one of the referenced threads, one guy reported he found some stuff in the bottom of his pan after draining it with the Fumoto valve. However, I also believe he said he was adding extra moly to his oil and it separated on him when the vehicle was set up and not used for a while. I don't think the Fumoto valve can be blamed for that. It is likely the pan without the valve would still have that buildup of separated mess at the bottom of his pan, which resulted from a home-made oil formulation.

·
Registered
578 Posts
How convenient. I just installed my Fomoto today and so far so good! For those who are considering this just get the F106S valve for the Gen3's without the extender because with the extender it will be blocked or interfere with the oil filter!

·
Registered
118 Posts
For anyone who has installed this, did you need to buy an extender? Fumotos website states for the 3 "We recommend that you purchase an adapter(extension) because your vehicle likely has a recessed oil drain port. Adapters are designed to add extra length to install the valve without hitting the oil pan wall." There is also a drain valve with a built in extender. f106s and f106sw the second one has the built in extender.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I got the Fumoto F106S valve with a short nipple to allow a hose if desired for a more efficient oil change. The extender wasn't needed on mine.

·
Registered
118 Posts
What type of hose do you use? One from fumoto or will any type of hosing work, as long as it fits the nipple?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I bought the F-106N. No issues at all. Actuating the valve isn't a problem. There's plenty of room to get a box wrench on the bottom of a K&N filter.

·
Registered
578 Posts
What type of hose do you use? One from fumoto or will any type of hosing work, as long as it fits the nipple?
Yes you can use any hose as long as it fits the nipple on the valve.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts