2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get one of these drain valves, does anyone have any experience with them for the 2014+ 3's?

Both require an adapter for the 2.0L and the reason is:
"We recommend that you purchase an adapter(extension) because your vehicle likely has a recessed oil drain port. Adapters are designed to add extra length to install the valve without hitting the oil pan wall."

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm using a Fumoto w/o the adapter. Works great. Not sure why they think it needs one. Did 2012 engines use a different pan?

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm using the adapter on a 2011 2.5 3S. The pluses is its clean gives me time to clean the wheels of brake dust. Did I mention its much slower draining. Not for a Type A personality. I'm glad I bought it!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm using the adapter on a 2011 2.5 3S. The pluses is its clean gives me time to clean the wheels of brake dust. Did I mention its much slower draining. Not for a Type A personality. I'm glad I bought it!
I don't mind waiting a little bit longer to have ease of access and it's cleaner.

What does the adapter exactly do?

·
Registered
40 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
I have a Fumoto on my '15 2.0 engine. No adapter is needed on this engine.

I also have Fumotos on my Diesel F250 and Jeep Wrangler. They work good!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmm, not sure whether to get the fumoto or the EZ drain one..

ez drain has free shipping, but it seems like fumoto is the more popular one..

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's a quality piece.

Sent from the wrong side of the tracks.
From reviews from people that have them, it seems like they are. But from people without them, they keep saying the switch will open up. We have the guard to protect it from rocks and such though, so I may purchase one soon!

·
Registered
578 Posts
From reviews from people that have them, it seems like they are. But from people without them, they keep saying the switch will open up. We have the guard to protect it from rocks and such though, so I may purchase one soon!
I have one and used it a few times already on the 2.5l. I highly doubt a rock will ever cause the latch to move considering that the lower part of the engine bay is complete covered from the road surface. Also the valve is recessed within itself so in order to open it you need to push up then maneuver the lever to the open position which requires a bit of force.

I got the valve with an extender but I didn't use it because it caused the valve to hit the oil pan or something. I honestly can't remember but it interfered with the valve so I didn't use it.

I went with the Fumoto one because its made in Japan so you know it's gonna be good quality brass/stainless steel :shuriken:

Reactions: Amplified

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have one and used it a few times already on the 2.5l. I highly doubt a rock will ever cause the latch to move considering that the lower part of the engine bay is complete covered from the road surface. Also the valve is recessed within itself so in order to open it you need to push up then maneuver the lever to the open position which requires a bit of force.

I got the valve with an extender but I didn't use it because it caused the valve to hit the oil pan or something. I honestly can't remember but it interfered with the valve so I didn't use it.

I went with the Fumoto one because its made in Japan so you know it's gonna be good quality brass/stainless steel :shuriken:
That's one of the reasons pushing me towards fumoto. I'm not sure if it's true but I heard from some threads that EZ drain is made from fumoto as well..?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I went with the Fumoto one because its made in Japan so you know it's gonna be good quality brass/stainless steel
Also, did you happen to use the washer that is provided? Or did you use a new crush washer that is used on the factory drain plug?

·
Registered
40 Posts
The lever is spring loaded into a notch/recess. I actually use small pliers to get the lever out of the recess, it's not easy to do by hand.

I have an older version on my Jeep that doesn't use a spring. It came with a metal ring/clip to secure the lever in the recess. I don't like it as much. That may be the one people are thinking of with accidental openings.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Also, did you happen to use the washer that is provided? Or did you use a new crush washer that is used on the factory drain plug?
I used the washer provided

·
Registered
900 Posts
Fumoto, I am really impressed with the quality of these.
And it will make doing my oil changes that much easier.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts