2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
I've had my sky active iTouring for 2 weeks, and it left the dealer with 6 miles on it. It now has 230 and the average is 35. I drive mostly street, but here in Jacksonville the streets I've driving I average either 45-50 to 5-15.

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
Just run whats recommended. You're not going to gain anything by running higher than recommended octane.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
87 is the recommended octane in these cars. Anything else is a waste of money and provides no benefit.

·
Registered
508 Posts
No need to run anything other than 87 octane, it is was it was designed for.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have been putting 87 octane in too but been wondering if we should run 91 at least occasionally for the extra detergents it supposedly includes. Worried we might run into long term issues with our direct injection system since it seems like most direct injectin engines have high pressure fuel injector failures.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I have been putting 87 octane in too but been wondering if we should run 91 at least occasionally for the extra detergents it supposedly includes. Worried we might run into long term issues with our direct injection system since it seems like most direct injectin engines have high pressure fuel injector failures.
The car is optimized for 87 octane fuel, why bother with running anything else?

·
Registered
222 Posts
The most common DI failure is the high pressure fuel pump which is caused more on the oil lubrication side (BMW and VAG in particular) not on the fuel side. Have not heard of too much trouble with the Japanese or American automaker DI systems.

Intake deposits on any DI engine will not be affected at all by octane or fuel detergent level as the fuel has no contact with the intake valves (except in the port and DI Lexus system).

I would run what Mazda recommends and follow their oil change recommendations with their recommended 0W-20 synthetic.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a bit over 7,500 miles on mine and have been using 87. Our overall fuel mileage to date is 40.952mpg, I track every gallon in a spreadsheet. I drive gently for the most part other than when the road gets entertaing and I can't resist.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I have a bit over 7,500 miles on mine and have been using 87. Our overall fuel mileage to date is 40.952mpg, I track every gallon in a spreadsheet. I drive gently for the most part other than when the road gets entertaing and I can't resist.
Do you drive a lot of highway miles? My commute is mostly city with frequent stoplights and I usually get around 28 MPG. I did go on a 200 mile trip a month ago that was all highway and got 37.6 MPG. I wish my commute had more highway miles haha.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Do you drive a lot of highway miles? My commute is mostly city with frequent stoplights and I usually get around 28 MPG. I did go on a 200 mile trip a month ago that was all highway and got 37.6 MPG. I wish my commute had more highway miles haha.
has to be plus flat, I am getting 31 mpg with a decent chunk of highway miles. I would get your mileage probably if all city

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just picked up my 2012 i Touring hatch this past Mondaypunt was filled with 87 oct., got 453 miles to a full tank (information cluster said 47 miles remaining, 36.5 mpg). I loved every bit of it, handled great, curves felt like rode on rails. I didn't ride it hard just took it easy for the break in period. Traded in my 06 gt hatch, and you could tell the difference. Love the skyactiv.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I live in a rural area so most mileage is on 2 laner's with not a lot of lights to deal with. Probably 5-10% in town.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts