2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if we can make a poll of how much range we're getting out of a tank when we fill up.. When my 2016 3 had under 500 miles on the odometer, the range meter showed around 400-415 miles when I filled the tank.. Now, at just over 5000 miles, the range is around 320-360 miles when I fill up.

What is your range gauge reporting when you fill the tank?

Also, I only get around 250-280 miles per tank in reality.. What is your real-world range per tank?

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
78 Posts
My tanks since I bought my 2.0 in June:

• 594km @ 6.45l/100km
  • 658km @ 6.27l/100km
  • 624km @ 5.96l/100km
  • 614km @ 5.96l/100km
  • 635km @ 6.14l/100km
  • 646km @ 5.79l/100km
  • 579km @ 6.56l/100km
  • 591km @ 5.54l/100km
So I drive between 579-658km (360-409 miles) on a tank, getting 6.56-5.54l/100km (35.9-42.45 mp(us)g).

Some variables you didn't identify:

• City or highway driving?
  • Average speed? (The computer will tell you this, but it doesn't factor in idling)
  • What engine?
  • What transmission (although both are pretty close according to the published ratings)
  • What terrain? I imagine somebody in the mountains will get worse mileage than somebody in Saskatchewan.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My tanks since I bought my 2.0 in June:

• 594km @ 6.45l/100km
  • 658km @ 6.27l/100km
  • 624km @ 5.96l/100km
  • 614km @ 5.96l/100km
  • 635km @ 6.14l/100km
  • 646km @ 5.79l/100km
  • 579km @ 6.56l/100km
  • 591km @ 5.54l/100km
So I drive between 579-658km (360-409 miles) on a tank, getting 6.56-5.54l/100km (35.9-42.45 mp(us)g).

Some variables you didn't identify:

• City or highway driving?
  • Average speed? (The computer will tell you this, but it doesn't factor in idling)
  • What engine?
  • What transmission (although both are pretty close according to the published ratings)
  • What terrain? I imagine somebody in the mountains will get worse mileage than somebody in Saskatchewan.
I'm in NYC so essentially flat city driving.. I'll dig up my receipts and report back.

3 gallons, really???

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
78 Posts
Just know that there's roughly 3.0 gallons left in the tank when the trip computer reports 0 miles until empty. I've been driving between 30-60 miles past that since the first fill up.
For what it's worth, I've never driven past 0 in this car, so those ranges are without dipping into the "reserve".

My second car, on the other hand. I've coasted that into a gas pump on momentum alone. That's what you get with a 30 year old fuel level sender. :laugh2:

·
Registered
28 Posts
For what it's worth, I've never driven past 0 in this car, so those ranges are without dipping into the "reserve".

My second car, on the other hand. I've coasted that into a gas pump on momentum alone. That's what you get with a 30 year old fuel level sender. :laugh2:
On a recent long highway trip, I got down to a computer-estimated 80 km (50 mi) remaining before refueling. The car is supposed to have a 50 litre (13.2 U.S. gal.) capacity, so I expected to put in close to that. I was surprised to find that it only took 38.5 litres (10 U.S. gal.) so, as noted above, there was more than three gallons left. Since I was getting 40 mpg (5.9 litres per 100 km) on the trip, that means I still had roughly 120 miles (193 km) of range remaining.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok. 2.0 engine. Auto Transmission. My average speed is probably 25-28mph since most of my driving is thru brooklyn streets to get to the highway.

3838 6/25/16 6.771
4145 7/2/16 9.596
4384 7/9/16 (17.75/2.369est)

Unfortunately, these are the only receipts that I can accurately include the mileage/price on. I had to use a combination of my vehicle log book, and Waze's route history to figure out when I drove past a gas station. I guess I should jot down the mileage on the receipt or start using Fuelly.

so, for those two trips that I can measure:
4145-3838 @ 9.596gal = 31.99mpg
4384-4145 @ 7.492gal = 31.9mpg

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My second car, on the other hand. I've coasted that into a gas pump on momentum alone.
I did that once with the truck I had as a teenager lol. 1989 Chevy S10. When it ran out of gas, the power steering stopped working! Trying to steer it into the gas station suuucked lol. luckily I was across the street from it when it happened going a good 20mph

·
Registered
78 Posts
I did that once with the truck I had as a teenager lol. 1989 Chevy S10. When it ran out of gas, the power steering stopped working! Trying to steer it into the gas station suuucked lol. luckily I was across the street from it when it happened going a good 20mph
My Fiero doesn't have power steering. Although it might have the same engine your S10 did. :smile2:

The gas tank sits between the driver and passenger, and the fuel pump is effectively under the arm rest. So even if the gauge is not reading correctly, you can hear the pump start to run dry as under sustained braking (as the gas slowly filters through the baffles to the front of the tank). At least I knew to look for a gas station before it died completely.

·
Registered
198 Posts
The range will be based on recent mileage. If you've just driven 300 miles on the freeway and fill up, the range will show a much higher number than if you've just driven a lot of city stop and go. After city driving, my range at fill up can be between 315 and 330, but after a long freeway drive it can be over 400.

It's interesting to watch what happens when taking a long freeway drive after a lot of city driving. The other day I had a range of about 220 when I went for a freeway drive. The range hardly ever dropped. After half an hour, it was still over 220.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My Fiero doesn't have power steering. Although it might have the same engine your S10 did. :smile2:

The gas tank sits between the driver and passenger, and the fuel pump is effectively under the arm rest. So even if the gauge is not reading correctly, you can hear the pump start to run dry as under sustained braking (as the gas slowly filters through the baffles to the front of the tank). At least I knew to look for a gas station before it died completely.
gotcha. yeah, the engine started coughing and dying right as I was crossing the intersection to the gas station. When I coasted into a pump, she was totally empty and dead. 'twas fun!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The range will be based on recent mileage. If you've just driven 300 miles on the freeway and fill up, the range will show a much higher number than if you've just driven a lot of city stop and go. After city driving, my range at fill up can be between 315 and 330, but after a long freeway drive it can be over 400.

It's interesting to watch what happens when taking a long freeway drive after a lot of city driving. The other day I had a range of about 220 when I went for a freeway drive. The range hardly ever dropped. After half an hour, it was still over 220.
I've noticed that too! sometimes the range will actually go up!

·
Registered
185 Posts
I started really logging my fill ups just recently
1st: 367/tank
2nd: 338/tank

The first I was definitely babying the car but the second is after some hard acceleration runs and brake bedding.
My computer has told me I'm getting about 31.9 mpg in mixed driving (SE Pennsylvania).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Has anyone mentioned if there is a reason why the overall range estimate when you fill up seems to go down the longer you have the car?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Has anyone mentioned if there is a reason why the overall range estimate when you fill up seems to go down the longer you have the car?
The longer you have the car, the more fuel economy history it can use to estimate overall range. For example, it may initially say you can drive 800km, but has learned you drive like a madman, and slowly refines it's predictions to 600km.

How is the estimate compared to your fuel mileage?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Guys,

with my 2.0 Manual 120hp i can get up to 5.5l/100km it's about 48mpg, but i am just cruising around with 45mph :D.
My fill ups with 40 liters gets me about 750km. I am filling 95 octane here in Germany.
You can set an option in your computer that calculates the milage with the A trip if you reset it.
I dont know if the octane depends that much, cus i filled it once with 100 octane fuel and it got me only 650km wide on eco drive.
If I drive the hell out of it it can go down to 500km, but it makes fun haha.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I don't think higher octane does anything for our cars, since they are designed to run on regular. If the engine starts knocking on regular, it should be looked at by a mechanic.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mazda 3 Fuel tank size Vs Car fuel computer

My Australian Mazda 3 Touring keeps telling me I'm getting 6.1L/100km but I'm only getting 680km to a tank. My log book states the fuel tank hold 51L and I always fill up when the computer shows around 50km to empty. I have never been able to put more than 40L of fuel in my car (to fill it to almost overflow). This logic means I should be getting around 830km to a tank but I'm not game to continue to run the car with fuel computer telling me "0km to empty". If this is a flaw in Mazda 3 why has it not been rectified?

I do a lot of km per week (850-900) and hate having to always fill my car with >10L still in the tank each week

Anyone else have this problem?

Wayne

·
Registered
78 Posts
My Australian Mazda 3 Touring keeps telling me I'm getting 6.1L/100km but I'm only getting 680km to a tank. My log book states the fuel tank hold 51L and I always fill up when the computer shows around 50km to empty. I have never been able to put more than 40L of fuel in my car (to fill it to almost overflow). This logic means I should be getting around 830km to a tank but I'm not game to continue to run the car with fuel computer telling me "0km to empty". If this is a flaw in Mazda 3 why has it not been rectified?

I do a lot of km per week (850-900) and hate having to always fill my car with >10L still in the tank each week
I think this is an intentional decision by Mazda, rather than a "flaw". Tell people they're out of gas, but be sure they still have enough gas to get somewhere to fill up.

Personally, I kind of like having the reserve, but I wish there was some way of tracking how long I've been running on it. If I know there's 10L left, and I happen to read the odo when the estimated range hits 0, then I could figure I can safely do 100km, and maybe push it to 120 or 130 in a pinch.

I've got a 52-km one-way commute, which means I use about 6-7L per day. With the ~10L "reserve", I know that when my range hits 0, I can still make it to home or work without risk of running dry. With previous cars, the fuel light (if it had one) typically meant "Go find the nearest gas station". My last car (Chevy Cobalt) would only give you estimated range down to about 75km, then it would just say "Fuel low". Effectively, this is the same thing, they just calibrated their estimate to hit 0, rather than cut off at 75.

It's different than what I was used to, and not exactly how I'd have designed it. That said, I can see why Mazda did it this way, and it not too big of a deal to just adapt to it.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.