2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Koleshiya
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in a bit of a stump, Dip Shit McGee filled up my Speed3 with 87 octane fuel when i specifically asked for 91 and up. I've been doing research all over the web and a few good men around town trying to decipher the situation. I need some input from you guys on this issue. What are the repercussions? Is there a system into which the ECU detects a lower octane and adjust itself along with the timing? Should i just run the living shit out of it till it blows and take it back to them? :sad055:

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
looks like someone is going to get some good mpg for their next tank of gas.

just take it easy until you get a full tank of 91 in there.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I'm in a bit of a stump, Dip Shit McGee filled up my Speed3 with 87 octane fuel when i specifically asked for 91 and up. I've been doing research all over the web and a few good men around town trying to decipher the situation. I need some input from you guys on this issue. What are the repercussions? Is there a system into which the ECU detects a lower octane and adjust itself along with the timing? Should i just run the living shit out of it till it blows and take it back to them? :sad055:
That's why I like to fill it up myself, trust me I look at the pump a few times to make sure I have the premium nozzle in my hand. I just hope everything goes well with your car. I would of recommended, empty out the gas tank but these new tanks are plastic but if you do, you would have to buy a new one plus is to much of a problem getting down the gas tank. Go to the mazdaspeed forums and post the question, maybe someone there can give you some insight.
Those guys have a vast experience with the disi platform. Hope this helps you! Take care and next time fill it up yourself, its your mind peace:thumbup1 1:

Reactions: XxKoleshiyaxX

·
Registered
368 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Wasn't that a seriousl answer? It's likely what i'd do.

You only really need the higher octane for its knock resistance at high combustion pressures. Keep the boost down and the pressure will stay down.

Or just stick a spanner in the turbo to stop it spinning :ph34r:

·
Everybody to the Limit!
1,001 Posts
Wasn't that a seriousl answer? It's likely what i'd do.

You only really need the higher octane for its knock resistance at high combustion pressures. Keep the boost down and the pressure will stay down.

Or just stick a spanner in the turbo to stop it spinning :ph34r:
LOL! I think he's laughing about the "Grandma" part! :tt2:

·
Registered
166 Posts
87 will not do anything horrible to the car - hell in the manual it even says it can be used in emergancy situations. Like others have said, take it easy, don't boost.

If you are really worried and have E85 where you live you could always just run the 87 gas you have down to 3/4 of a tank(use 1/4 of a full tank) and put in 3-4 gallons of e85. That would bump up the octane of the gas well above 91 for the remainder(just keep in mind you will get CRAPPY gas mileage for this tank.

To the person who suggested Octane booster - please go read up on how that works. It does not increase octane from 87 to 91. At best you might increase it to 87.6-87.9 octane.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts