2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is doing my nut in!

When I stop my car get out, the fuel cap remains locked it just won't open. The only way to unlock it is to take my keys out of my pocket and press the car unlock button. In the car vehicle settings there is an option for how long to wait when the car locks (30,60,90,120 seconds) before the fuel cap locks but this clearly isn't working. The fuel cap remains locked all the time when using keyless.

Anyone have any suggestions, I think I have had it once when I get out of my car, and can press the fuel cap and it pops open without using the keys (as it should be)

·
Registered
2021 Mazda3 GT Sport 2.5T w/ PP
260 Posts
Double check the settings in the infotainment for the fuel cap locking system, if you haven't already. You can set in there how it works.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The keyless auto lock could cause the doors and fuel cap to re-lock quickly even if you have the wait time set to 90 seconds if you walk far enough away from the door to trigger the autolock feature. So if you stop for fuel, turn off the ignition get out of the car and close the door the fuel cap will stay unlocked to up to 90 seconds per the settings but can lock again in 30 seconds if you step far enough from the door for the keyless auto-lock to kick in.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My car is set to auto lock when I walk away, I would just normally stop at the fuel pump, get out of my car, walk around the rear of the car to the fuel cover (which is on the other side from the driver) ... and it's locked even though I think at this point the car hasn't locked as the mirrors haven't folded in.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I would be taking it to a dealer then. The only other then I would look at is adjusting the unlock time on the fuel cap in the settings. It shouldn't be locking before the rest of the car.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would be taking it to a dealer then. The only other then I would look at is adjusting the unlock time on the fuel cap in the settings. It shouldn't be locking before the rest of the car.
I dont think it is locking, I just think it was ever unlocked. Like keyless exit it is very random.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've had a few instances where I've unlocked the passenger door with keyless entry and after opening and closing the door I would walk around to the driver door and the doors locked again and keyless entry wouldn't work again. I suspect the same could be happening to your gas cap lock.

·
Registered
109 Posts
My car is set to auto lock when I walk away, I would just normally stop at the fuel pump, get out of my car, walk around the rear of the car to the fuel cover (which is on the other side from the driver) ... and it's locked even though I think at this point the car hasn't locked as the mirrors haven't folded in.

Off topic but...YOUR MIRRORS FOLD IN?! Damn there’s like a new thing I find out everyday that the US models don’t have!

·
Registered
41 Posts
You cannot open the fuel door on a 2019 model before you get out of the vehicle. 2019 does not have a release from inside the car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts