2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is something that has been caughting my attention but I didn't gave it much thought until other people in a Spanish forum comented the same.

The fuel door doesn't seem to be straight as it was in the beginning. Seems like with the time it became deformed and even seems like is not properly closed.

Yesterday someone even asked "have they tried to steal you gasoline?"

This is a car from May made in japan btw. Aren't there similar cases around here?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I saw some people discuss about this before. My Mazda 3 do not have this problem (yet?) I got my car early July and made in japan too.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had the same issue went back to the dealer and they replaced it within the week fits and looks perfect now

·
Registered
59 Posts
I had the same issue went back to the dealer and they replaced it within the week fits and looks perfect now
What color is yours M3? Did they need to paint it or it came colored from factory/wearhouse?

I have same issue on mine, Japan made.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
Mine is soul red crystal, tomorrow I am visiting dealer, and I'm afraid of painting job how it will be done.

And how dealer explained what was the reason of tank cover deformation?

Thx

·
Super Moderator
6,408 Posts
Mine is soul red crystal, tomorrow I am visiting dealer, and I'm afraid of painting job how it will be done.

And how dealer explained what was the reason of tank cover deformation?

Thx

I'd like to hear an explanation of how these are deforming. Post some pictures of the problem.....

·
Registered
59 Posts
Photo is taken verticality downwards, just to show it how much is outside when it's closed.

·
Super Moderator
6,408 Posts
So, what exactly is the problem? Just bend it back and stop leaning on it when you are refueling......

·
Registered
200 Posts
Went down to check mine, and yes, it is starting to stick out. But it is NOT the cover that is deformed, it is the extension latch that somehow is too long now.
Took a look but did not see an adjustment point for shortening the (spring-loaded) catch latch.
Called the Mazda service department and they said that they had never heard of this issue........

·
Registered
200 Posts
Interest point: The dealer have 3 new 2019 and 3 new 2020 M3 Sport in stock. When inspected them with the service manager in tow, the 2019s are free from this problem, gas cap all fit properly. All 3 of the 2020s have the same problem as mine, warped and slightly sticking out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
This is a known problem. I had this as well in my 2020 model. The bending seems to happen due to temperature variations. The dealer replaced my cap a 3 months ago and I have the feeling it starts to bend again. We had strong temperature variations in the last months.

In one other case here in the Netherlands they replaced the whole unit, so not only the cap, but also the hinge. That seemed to provide a more solide solution. As far as I know the fuel cap problem is under investigation by Mazda. They could now refuse swapping the caps during the investigation.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the same problem and I visited the dealer and apparently there is a technical bulletin come from Mazda. saying the deformed petrol flap is due to holding water. my cap at the moment is being sprayed and I'm waiting for Mazda to tell me when they're going to refit it. They also have to drill a hole in the plastic support at the bottom to let the water drain out. If you search the internet there is is a diagram that shows you exactly what will be done. the flap is obviously plastic but the bodywork is metal but water is getting in behind the flap inside the hinge part that supports it causing the deforming. I hope this helps. 👍👍

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a mazda 3 2019 and I have the same problem, the dealer corrected it, but it deformed again and sticks out: /

·
Registered
11 Posts
go back and tell them there is a Mazda technical bulletin about this problem and the petrol flap needs replacing and the holder that holds it needs to be drilled to allow water to drain out. Mine has been resprayed and is due to be fitted on the 24th of this month. The black hinge that holds the round flap has honeycomb inside and some of the honeycomb has to be removed and a hole drilled at the bottom so the water can come out as it's the water and changing temperature that is causing it to deform. Just keep going back until it is correct don't settle for anything less

1 - 20 of 49 Posts