2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For sale is a manual transmission 6-speed for a 2014-2018 Mazda 3. It's in great shape due to it's low mileage - 8586 miles. I bought it to do a tranny swap at 100k miles, but I didn't use it due to being incompatible to my car. See reason below.

IMPORTANT
This transmission fits those cars made in Mexico. IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH JAPANESE BUILT CARS. Check your Mazda's VIN#. If it starts with a 'J', your car is made in Japan. Each country of origin apparently used different transmission and clutch. The flywheels are the same.

Comes with Mazda transmission shipping box that has a handle on each side and a cardboard pallet glued to the bottom. It's a cool box.

Any questions or additional photos needed, please ask.

Can do local pick-up or ship to you.

ASKING $600 plus shipping.

Located in SoCal.

Thank you

·
Registered
835 Posts
That's cool. Does it actually come from a Mazda dealer, possibly, who used stored-away originally Mazda-supplied shipping packaging, including output shaft shipping plugs?

Also, nearest as I was aware, only mfr'd-in-Japan C66M-R 6 speed transaxles were used on all cars... CX-3, 5, Mazda3, 6, CX-30 (?)... the same but for different final drive ratios??? Did you ever learn what the differences between Mx-made versus Japan-made cars were, specifically?

Those are cool pictures. They show the shift "pendulum" weights that make for improved shift-weight-feel, they show the input shaft (surrounding) throw out bearing guide tube. This latter tube can wear, have grooves form in it. A person, it seems to me, needs to put a light coating of high quality grease on it, to adequately lube the bore of the TOB to ease this matter.

The photos also show where the "Friar's hat" business-end of the clutch release slave cylinder bears-against (see my three photos)...

Incidentally, if folks 'wanna zoom-in on the slave cyl photo, you can see where its bleed nipple is, plus where the hand-operated (only) bleed valve is...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's cool. Does it actually come from a Mazda dealer, possibly, who used stored-away originally Mazda-supplied shipping packaging, including output shaft shipping plugs?

Also, nearest as I was aware, only mfr'd-in-Japan C66M-R 6 speed transaxles were used on all cars... CX-3, 5, Mazda3, 6, CX-30 (?)... the same but for different final drive ratios??? Did you ever learn what the differences between Mx-made versus Japan-made cars were, specifically?

Those are cool pictures. They show the shift "pendulum" weights that make for improved shift-weight-feel, they show the input shaft (surrounding) throw out bearing guide tube. This latter tube can wear, have grooves form in it. A person, it seems to me, needs to put a light coating of high quality grease on it, to adequately lube the bore of the TOB to ease this matter.

The photos also show where the "Friar's hat" business-end of the clutch release slave cylinder bears-against (see my three photos)...

Incidentally, if folks 'wanna zoom-in on the slave cyl photo, you can see where its bleed nipple is, plus where the hand-operated (only) bleed valve is...
It was in the process of being installed by the dealer when the discovery was made that it is not a match to my car as it is made in Japan. I ordered a new tranny from the dealer and it came in that box. So I took the box and put in this tranny (the one for sale). The one I'm selling came from a yard. The donor car had 8586 on the odometer. Not sure what the differences are, but apparently the clutches are different, too. Only common part is the flywheel.

Thanks for the additional info.

For fun, what does the entire assembly weigh?
Interesting question. I never tried to weigh it. I guess I can try a bathroom scale and see what it says. Unless it's on the box. lol

·
Super Moderator
6,220 Posts
I don't see why that transmission would not work. In fact, I know somebody who had an engine replacement under warranty in a Mexico built car. The engine was replaced with a Japan built motor, and the clutch was also replaced. Replacing the transmission was not required. The Mexico built transmission bolted right up with no problems. Is it possible that the car it came out of did not have the same engine, as in 2.5 vs 2.0?

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't see why that transmission would not work. In fact, I know somebody who had an engine replacement under warranty in a Mexico built car. The engine was replaced with a Japan built motor, and the clutch was also replaced. Replacing the transmission was not required. The Mexico built transmission bolted right up with no problems. Is it possible that the car it came out of did not have the same engine, as in 2.5 vs 2.0?
I don't exactly remember why they didn't want to install it. It's been over a year since I had the work done. I don't know what the differences are. Maybe the ratios? IDK. If you go to one of the Mazda parts website (forgot which at the moment. I had my dealer match their price), they do have the tranny listed and it says Japanese cars only. I actually didn't see one for cars made in Mexico. The car was listed as a 2.0L. It was listed as from a 2.0 and I could tell from the car itself it was a 2.0. Dealer also never mentioned otherwise.

That's interesting about your friend's car. I can't really say why that is. My mechanic was pretty adamant about the transmission. I guess he had tried to bolt the tranny to the car and some issue arose. When I went to the dealer the transmission was on the palette directly under the motor.

I guess anyone can purchase it then if it mates right to the motor, but I wouldn't take responsibility for that since I expressed my concern that it wouldn't. Basically, the buyer is going to take the risk.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts