2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Wuddup to all 馃
I just recently decided I was tired letting the sun bake me through the moonroof on hot days. And in South Florida, that means almost every day. I love the light that comes into the cabin when the shade is retracted, plus that feeling of just a bit more openness than having the whole roof closed off. But that direct sunlight is damn near intolerable.
So I decided to install frosted vinyl on the moonroof, and I couldn't be happier.
It diffuses the light coming into the cabin and gives it a nice, soft glow. Even with the sun almost directly above (the pic with my hand up), you barely feel any heat at all, and the light is dispersed so there's no blindingly bright spot.
Loving this simple mod, and hope anyone with the same dilemma can benefit from this.

Attachments

Registered
Nice! Is this a film, like window tint? Is it rated for heat and light transmission?Please share some more details about the product you used.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Nice! Is this a film, like window tint? Is it rated for heat and light transmission?Please share some more details about the product you used.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Yeah it鈥檚 a vinyl film called Avery Dennison Frosted Glass Film. It鈥檚 UV and heat resistant. Here鈥檚 a bit more info:
I work at a wrap/sign shop and we had a little bit of this material left over, so I said why not. I鈥檓 running the experiment to see how long it lasts. Should be good for a few years given the Florida sun.

Registered
I assume you applied it on the inside? Pls confirm. Also, if / when it degrades - what sense do you have re how to remove the adhesive residue... Goof Off or ?

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
I assume you applied it on the inside? Pls confirm. Also, if / when it degrades - what sense do you have re how to remove the adhesive residue... Goof Off or ?
Actually, it鈥檚 installed on the outside. Although my original intention was to install it on the inside, it鈥檚 a pain to install and trim (frosted goes on better wet) and to remove later down the line from the inside of the car. From the outside it鈥檚 cake. I鈥檓 also diggin the matte look, so no regrets on that end. As far as removal, high quality vinyls tend to come off clean. Let it sit in the sun or give it some heat from a heat gun and it peels right off, even after years of being exposed to the elements. And if you do get any residue left over, some Goo Gone or Goof Off or WD40 or 90% alcohol or whatever your preferred adhesive remover is will make quick work of it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts