2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm starting to see more members in here with a tow hook in the front of their car and I was wondering what is it used for? Also can you guys recommend me a type/color tow hook for a white 2015 Mazda 3 hatchback with black accents? Thanx :)

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
straight-forward functional answer regarding purpose = precisely what the name says, if you're taking your car to a track, racing, etc.

Purely cultural-aesthetic answer = aping the looks of race cars

Tow hooks? These are a thing now? Why?

Personally not really my thing (because usually form over function), but if you decide to go for one, red or yellow would look good with white car and black accents, IMO.

·
Registered
975 Posts
It's meant to get your car out of a shoulder full of mud or snow, when you only have access to the front.

It's a tow-hook.

Used for, you know, towing.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
http://www.ebay.ca/ulk/itm/171642577680
I guess this is what i am looking for, will this fit my car?
Sorry i meant to say that yes i know a tow hook is for towing but i guess i read a thread the other day and someone said that if a car backs up to our mazda 3 then the front grill will break. A tow hook will damage the other person's car and ours will be fine. Just wondering if this will help with that, thanx :)

·
Registered
975 Posts
lol I was joking; and that was my response.

The first time you put your leg into your tow hook, you'll realize why they're illegal to have in place while a car is in motion.

After of course you get back up off the ground and watch your shin swell and turn black.

·
Admiral Obvious
1,811 Posts
lol I was joking; and that was my response.

The first time you put your leg into your tow hook, you'll realize why they're illegal to have in place while a car is in motion.

After of course you get back up off the ground and watch your shin swell and turn black.

I have done this at the track.... (it's not normally there)

ow..... plus other colorful words.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I've wondered about the "tow hook" situation with my Mazda 3. I've often seen them described as tow hooks, but the manual specifically says they are NOT tow hooks. It says they are tie-down hooks for securing the car when it is being hauled on a truck or trailer. The manual says any other use could damage the car.

So, if that's the case, why is just one tie-down hook provided? Surely the car should be tied down by using all four corners of the car.

And, if the car does have to be pulled out of a ditch, what does one attach the recovery line to? I suppose commercial tow trucks have stuff to get the job done, but can they do it without damage? I'm hoping I never have to find out.

·
Registered
721 Posts
The situation is still not clear for me.

The added piece of equipment in the ebay ad talks about it being a tow hook that goes into the factory port. I assume this is the same port that the factory-supplied "tie-down hook" goes into.

My question: the manual says the tie-down hook is not to be used as a tow hook as damage could result if it is. So, is the ebay thingy stronger than the factory hook and thusly can be used as a tow hook as it says? Or, is the problem the port itself not being strong enough for "towing" and even with an ebay hook the car can still be damaged by using this port.

Oh, the horrors of not knowing.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
The situation is still not clear for me.

The added piece of equipment in the ebay ad talks about it being a tow hook that goes into the factory port. I assume this is the same port that the factory-supplied "tie-down hook" goes into.

My question: the manual says the tie-down hook is not to be used as a tow hook as damage could result if it is. So, is the ebay thingy stronger than the factory hook and thusly can be used as a tow hook as it says? Or, is the problem the port itself not being strong enough for "towing" and even with an ebay hook the car can still be damaged by using this port.

Oh, the horrors of not knowing.
My guess is that a proper "tow-hook" should be installed at a different (more secure and stable) attachment point (say, to the actual chassis, or at least the subframe, of the car). But just a guess.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If you use the "tow hook" to pull or tie down the car, make sure you are in-line or nearly so, with the main axis of the car. Large side loads on the OEM or aftermarket units will break them off at their weakest point, where they thread into the structural part of the bumper.

Tie-down points for transportation are usually integrated into the underside of the unibody, usually oval-shaped with rubber covers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts