2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I am currently trying to install the top mount onto the strut, and even with spring compressors fully latched onto the springs, the piston rod still doesn't come out far enough to get the nut on. I've tried pulling the piston rod out, and it always decompresses back to the length shown in the picture. When I push it down it does the same thing. Does this mean the piston rod is broken or out of gas? I would rather try to get the strut fixed than buy 2 new struts for both sides of the front suspension. I need to get this suspension fixed soon because this is my daily car. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
327 Posts
If a strut is done, it's done.

Now is the time to put new ones in when you already have it apart...

Reactions: tyrantnemo

·
Super Moderator
5,567 Posts
Not fixable. Replace the strut. You should be able to get both front assemblies (spring and strut assembled and ready to install) for under $400. Advance Auto has them for $173 each. Just the struts are about $100 each.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not fixable. Replace the strut. You should be able to get both front assemblies (spring and strut assembled and ready to install) for under $400. Advance Auto has them for $173 each. Just the struts are about $100 each.
You mean the Monroe complete strut assemblies? I just did some research and there are some mixed reviews about the quality compared to the OEM struts. I guess I'll stick with just the struts to save some cash, plus I don't mind the labor. I'll go pick up the OESpectrum struts tomorrow and fit my stock springs on them. Thanks for the info!

·
Super Moderator
5,567 Posts
I have never had a problem with the Monroe stuff. I've used it on many cars in the past. In fact I have Monroes right now on my truck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts