2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to find a TSB on this but couldn't find one, anyway, my car had this annoying rattle almost like something is loose on the front when passing through hard-uneven parts of the roads. Having only 18K miles on the car, i was worried that a link or bushing had gone bad. But what i found after a visit to a mechanic friend, is that the rattle noise was coming from the brake calipers instead :surprise:.

So, if anyone has the same situation, the issue came from the 2 non-threaded screws that hold the center piece of the caliper to the fixed one, they had enough play to make the center piece "rattle" when going over hard changes on the road surfaces. What we did as a temporary fix was to cover the these 2 non-threaded screws with teflon tape, apply grease on it and problem fixed, No more rattle noise. I forgot to take pictures of the whole process but i will try to get some on google and post it here for anyone's reference.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks but with only 18k on the car why not have the dealer fix it as it should still be under warranty.??
I went a couple of times to the dealer and first they said they couldn't find anything, then that an engine mount was loose. Every time i went there they kept the car for 2 to 4 days, and got tired of it. I don't trust them much with their mechanic abilities so i decided to go to someone i know, which didn't charge me much for the work.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I went a couple of times to the dealer and first they said they couldn't find anything, then that an engine mount was loose. Every time i went there they kept the car for 2 to 4 days, and got tired of it. I don't trust them much with their mechanic abilities so i decided to go to someone i know, which didn't charge me much for the work.
Huh, I feel the frustration of bringing the car tomdelaers, trying to replicate a noise or something in your car and it doesn’t show up. They’ll just say “I/ we can’t replicate the sound” or they’ll just say “ it’s normal”. I mean no offense to the mechanics/ techs in the dealers.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,437 Posts
Taking a video or sound recording of the noises in the car will help when you take it to the dealer.

At least that way you won't seem like your chasing after some phantom noise. There will be proof!
CK

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've been trying to find a TSB on this but couldn't find one, anyway, my car had this annoying rattle almost like something is loose on the front when passing through hard-uneven parts of the roads. Having only 18K miles on the car, i was worried that a link or bushing had gone bad. But what i found after a visit to a mechanic friend, is that the rattle noise was coming from the brake calipers instead :surprise:.

So, if anyone has the same situation, the issue came from the 2 non-threaded screws that hold the center piece of the caliper to the fixed one, they had enough play to make the center piece "rattle" when going over hard changes on the road surfaces. What we did as a temporary fix was to cover the these 2 non-threaded screws with teflon tape, apply grease on it and problem fixed, No more rattle noise. I forgot to take pictures of the whole process but i will try to get some on google and post it here for anyone's reference.

I think I'm having the same issue. Getting rattle from from left,
I can feel the play on the left caliper but not the right .

·
Registered
7 Posts
i think i have the same problem but mine is just on the left side. i notice it at around 2,500rpm but only when going uphill. maybe you can post pics?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had the same issue and noise with my 2018 M3 GT, first time the dealer did a "patch" to avoid the issue, meaning they tried some adjustments by the time, it worked for some months but the noise came back and with the latest service I told them and they are going to replace the brake calipers on warranty. Looks like this is something common as the mechanics told me and they know about it.

So, keep pushing with your dealerships so they replace the front calipers with a re-designed one.

BTW, I'm in Mexico and my car has 30,000 kms (around 19,000 miles).

·
Registered
325 Posts
Thats a common issue. The piston retracts slightly allowing the pad to rattle a bit. Not really a safety issue at at all, it just makes some noise.
That is what I am thinking. I had this clanking metal to metal noise only when I drive over the reflectors on the road, thus only the front left makes the noise. Did some test by press slightly on the brake while running over the reflectors and the noise stop. In my next tire rotation, I will grease all the brake pads, hope that is the cause. I did have this same noise on my previous cars but at least not during the first 10k miles.

·
Registered
131 Posts

Yes, they traced mine this past Friday to the front (I thought the sound was coming from my back sway bar/sway bar links) brake caliper slide pins that 'move a little' due to their design, they lubed the pins and I have not heard any noise since. I just posted about it yesterday morning on the forum.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts