2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I put my coilovers on about 3 months ago and they been very good to me but lately it started developing this popping / clunking sound ? kind of like "bluuubbb blubbb" its very hard to explain what it sounds like. It only happens when driving on un even roads and small bumps.

I also notice the sound gets worse when its cold outside or when it rains. Its not coil binding im sure of it. I don't have access to a jack / jack stands at the moment but just wanted to see if someone knows what it could be. The sound does go away though after about 5min of driving and when everything is warmed up. I can somewhat re-create the sound if I push down on the passenger side of the car. The car still drives fine with no pulling or anything. I was thinking maybe something is loose but if that's the case wouldn't the noise be there at all times and not go away after some driving ? or maybe it needs to be lubed up ? I will try to upload a video when I have time so you guys can hear it.

Thank you so much !!!

also please no "that's what you get for ricelands blah blah blah" I just want help with the noise. Thanks

·
Registered
752 Posts
the shock portion is probably blown.. they are racelands so its not surprising.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
either the top mount on that shock is out or it's just the boot rubbing on the spring, or check if all the bolts on it is tight
i went through the boot rubbing thing, it's gonna end up being torn apart but thats ok, the dust boot isn't even required. if thats the case then don't worry about it lol mine is in multiple pieces still on the coilover :p

riceland=shit? 2 years on cheap coils and no probs come at me br0. don't expect BC/tein leveled shit from budget coilovers

·
Aspiring Mad Scientist
1,716 Posts
Temperature-dependent sound? *Scratches head* How/where are your dust boots? If you can recreate it by pushing on the front passenger corner, then it happens during suspension stroke... pull off a wheel and see what you see.

Though I will also echo that if you can't see the cause outside the strut, it might just be some weird stuff inside...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts