2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,

I had an itch to mod, so I found a 3-piece front lip and rear canards on ebay. Total came out to around $50. I tried to take pictures along the way, but the process was pretty straight forward. I'll note my experience and tips for anyone thinking about doing these simple visual mods.

First up, Front Lip:

Since the lip is 3-piece, use the provided hardware to attach the pieces together and use tape to line it up on the car itself. An extra pair of hands help. This will allow you to ensure proper fitment vs starting on one side and finding out afterwards that you're 2in too far on the other side. I found that the lip sits right at the body line under the car, so your undertray/splash tray is still accessible. So that gives you a reference point of how far back to set the lip when finding the fitment. I'll snap another picture later so you can see what I'm talking about

Each side piece had 5 holes while the center piece had 3.

use strips of double-sided tape between the holes on the two end pieces. The seller only included screws, not tape. My suggestion is to get your own automotive grade 3M tape. the ones included in the box are usually old and wont stick as well. You don't want this thing flying off while you're on the highway.

Drill some pilot holes. Or don't. Your call.

I also suggest this tightening pattern:

This allows you to wiggle and adjust if needed. Keep an eye on that body line while you work.

Also don't over-tighten. The hardware provided were screws so they just bite into the plastic. If you overtighten you're gonna strip the hole and have a bad time.

Final Thoughts: Very happy with the outcome. Yes, there are some gaps on the sides near the wheelwell, but I don't mind them. If you do as I say and not as I do, you won't end up like me.

EDIT: photo of underneath the car so I can show the body line:

So you can see the lip comes up to a body line under the car. This allows access to the undertray and doesn't cover anything up.

Rear canards next, I can only upload 10 files.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Rear Canards: The title says universal but you'll probably have to cut them.

First I mocked them up like I did with the front lip. I realized they were too long so I used some tape to measure off the end that needed cutting.

I used the body line of the canard marked in green as a reference/straight-edge and cut along the red line:

There are two body screws in that portion under the car. I used the one closest to the tire as a reference, made a scratch on the canard, and drilled a pilot hole. I put the body screw through the pilot hole and back into the factory hole (approximately marked in purple). The canard can now pivot on that one screw easily for you to put double-sided tape and line up the canard with the bumper's body line. Make a judgement call for placement and drill your second pilot hole when you're satisfied with location.

The screw at the top of the photo is the body screw that's already there. The lower screw near that dimple is the hardware the canard came with. And you can see the other body screw I used as reference and pushed the canard right up against it for placement.

Final thoughts: Again, very pleased with the look. No complaints at all.

Attachments

Reactions: runaway

·
Super Moderator
5,670 Posts
I would suggest installing the fasteners starting from the center and working outwards. If you start from the outside and work in you can easily end up having the center not sit flush. Working from the center out allows you to make small corrections in placement to fit the part properly.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Arathol, great suggestion! I completely forgot about matching the centerline of the lip. I was more concerned with the sides lining up that I forgot about the center during install. Luckily my lip lined up in the center.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Reactions: minsanity

·
Super Moderator
697 Posts
I got the same lip off ebay. I started with the center just because it was a pain to install from the sides by myself. I did not use scotch tape though.

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5
349 Posts
Looks nice !

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the positive feedback on the lip and canards. Small update on those:

I drove around for a few days but kept worrying about it coming off. So I got a cheap rivet gun, 3/16" x 1/2" rivets, and some washers. I drilled out the holes a big larger to fit the rivets and went to town. The washers ensured a larger contact area of attachment. Highly suggest using rivets instead of the screws that came with it.

Also, I had some more time on my hands and some extra PlastiDip.

Tips:
Clean it well. Get the grime and bugs off.
Take your time prepping the area.
Tape slowly.
Use a straight-edge to press the tape into the grooves.
See where the lip and area around the fog light is exposed? Don't do that. Don't be like me. Use more coverings because overspray is a thing. I found small specs on the lip and fog light area. Luckily i used PlastiDip so it wiped off easily.

Semi-Pro Tip:
If you've never done anything like this before, my suggestion is to overtape from one side and work your way around. Your next piece of tape should overlap the previous piece by about 1/2" or so. That way, when you're done, you can pull from one side and everything comes off easily. If you tape randomly you risk pulling up the edges and you're gonna have a bad time.

Light coats and keep moving. Don't spray heavily in one spot.

I did 5 coats. That's probably minimum.

Semi-Pro Tip: I used a blade around the area before I removed any tape. Not a lot of pressure and followed the far edge (closest to the body paint). This made a small cut in the PlastiDip so when I pulled the tape it knew where to pull off. There's a risk of pulling up the dip where you don't want. It made for a clean-ish line.

Reactions: runaway

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5
349 Posts
Looks easy enough
I think i will repaint my hood and get rid of all those chips

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5
349 Posts
BM SPEC used to make some amazing Front / Side / Rear lips, wings and diffusers. BMSPEC
He should reconsider getting back in

·
Registered
24 Posts
Todo ha ido muy bien
Tengo mi labio delantero puesto, alguien conoce un enlace para las partes traseras

En AliExpress, los gastos de envío son muy caros en eBay.

saludos

1 - 11 of 11 Posts